Installing Kilby Gas Tank Skid in '01 TJ

I just recieved by Kilby Gas Tank skid for my '01 TJ and am planning on tackling the installation in the next week or so. In reading the instructions and write-ups on several web sites, I have to disconnect the pressurized fuel line(s). All of the write-ups refer me back to the FSM, which I have on my list of "items to buy", but I don't yet have it.

Does anyone have instructions on how to depressurize and disconnect those lines from the fuel tank?

Thank you! Icky '01 TJ

Reply to
murfysflaw

L.W.(ßill)

On the fuel rail just over the intake side of the engine is a valve. It looks something like a valve cap on the wheels. Unscrew the valve cap and use a small screwdriver and cloth. Push in the valve center (small ball) to release the fuel pressure. You will have some fuel come out, hence the cloth. Now put the valve cap back on.

Now drop the tank (7 nuts), release the electrical connection, pinch the fuel line clip at the fuel pump (on top of the gas tank), detach the fuel return line and it's done.

Reinstall in reverse order and enjoy the protection on the rocks.

Reply to
Morrissey

Thank you both for your help! Sounds pretty straightforward now that I know where it is!

Reply to
murfysflaw

Few tips...

I'd recommend disconnecting the electrical and fuel send/return lines *before* you drop the tank (but after you depress the system). Even after you depress, you may get some gas drippage from the fuel line connections so don't have your face directly under it when you pull the lines. Ask me how I know.

Also, you might want to pull the fuel pump fuse or the negative battery cable. I would also recommend a helper and a floor jack to help ease it down. You'll find the Kilby instructions to be very good.

If you have an aftermarket bumper, you *may* have to remove the bumper...a friend had a Tomken bumper and the 2" receiver tube extended so far on the frame side of the bumper it interfered with the new skidplate installation. So we had to remove the bumper, install the plate, then replace the bumper.

good luck

  • * * Matt Macchiarolo
Matt Macchiarolo

I realize you have already purchased so this is a moot point for you... but for anyone else considering TJ armor... the Tomken skid plate bolts on over the existing armor with no need to move fuel lines or anything else, and is extremely heavy duty. I have been extremely pleased with mine.

Reply to
Joshua Nelson

The Tomken is a solid skid plate. I have one myself and regularly bash it on rocks just to test it (I only have a 2" lift and 31s). The Kilby skid plate, however, replaces the stock "plate" and raises the gas tank about 1" (I *think* it's 1"). Both these make for better clearance in the back and help get rid of that "loaded diaper" look. :-)

Reply to
TJim

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Bill would rather have the fuel under his ass, one good meal with cabbage and caulifower and he's airborne...

  • * * Matt Macchiarolo
Matt Macchiarolo

Yep, it raises it 1" and is stout enough to support the weight of the vehicle. The fellow I mentioned where we had to remove his bumper, IIRC he was replacing a Tomken skidplate.

  • * * Matt Macchiarolo
Matt Macchiarolo

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

It's Bill Thing, no one understands. ;-)

  • * * Matt Macchiarolo
Matt Macchiarolo

Hughes

This is my nomination for post of the year.

Chris

Yep, 1" sometimes more. When my Tomken got too bashed up I put a Kilby on. Tomken is good, but not quite the same. Its meant to go over the stock skid, and Kilby's is meant to give you the additional clearance. Both have their applications.

Reply to
jbjeep

Yeah... I don't have a lift yet, so the 1" was a very positive point for me. I hate having to drop the tank to install, but I was told it wasn't too bad. From the sounds of it, sounds like it shouldn't take more than a few hours. I do hope I don't have to take my Olympic rock bumper off, but that's pretty easy too.

Icky '01 TJ Anniv. Warn Engine skid Olympic Rock Bumper OR Fab Rock "sliders" Rhino'd tub

Future plans:

2" spacer lift Kilby Gas tank skid new "shoes"... likely Dunlop Mud Rovers or ATs
Reply to
SBC Newsgroups

Sorry about the "SBC Newsgroups" in the from tag. I switched ISPs and forgot to change the name when setting up my PC.

applications.

Reply to
Ichabod Shagnasti

One thing I noticed...once my plate was in, my fuel gauge never quite made it up to "full" on fill-up. I think the tank may have been pinched under the body tub. A 1" body lift solved that problem.

Upon initial installation, it took me about 90 minutes to remove the old skidplate and install the new one, with one helper. I recently installed a center seat belt in the rear of the TJ, and had to remove the tank to access the bottom of the tub, I had the tank out in about 20 minutes, was harder to put it back in alone but I got it in in about 30. A floor jack is a must.

  • * * Matt Macchiarolo
Matt Macchiarolo

carried !

Reply to