TOWING MY 01 TJ

Hi fellow Jeepers,

I need to tow my TJ behind my Class C Motorhome and had good luck and stable handling when it was stock and on all four wheels. Now it's (the TJ) built - 35" tires-4.5" lift and when I flat tow the Jeep wags the Motor Home and is very unsettling.

If I put the TJ on a trailer and tow it I will be beyond the towing range of the Motor Home (the trailer added). Since I can't purchase a large RV ($$) I was thinking of using a dolly to tow the Jeep, putting the front wheels on a trailer, back wheels on the ground.

Is anyone doing this and does it work out OK? So would tow it just like on four wheels, transfer case in neutral, transmission in gear, key off in this case? Thanks all.

Andy

Reply to
Andy

I woudn't see any problem with using a dolly, but I'd suggest having your alignment/caster checked out, if it wants to steer your tow vehicle.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

I did after the one experience with the Jeep shaking the Motorhome. Some adjustments were made to alignment and balance of tires, both were off. I did see very slight cupping of the front tires after the one tow. I get mixed answers for this but I expect alignment and not the towing.

The Jeep is fine on-off road. I guess I'm a little hesitant about towing again on four wheels. Some say the big tires and lift make it near impossible to flat tow.

Thanks Matt,

Andy

Reply to
Andy

I don't know about that, I know a few folks who flat-tow similar setups to yours without problems. Just make sure your alignment is correct and you shouldn't have a problem.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

I flat tow my CJ. It has 38" TSL's, SOA, 3.5" springs, +1" YJ shackles, D44, D60. It does fine as long as I don't take a sharp corner too fast. I towed my TJ with 5" of suspension lift and 35" MTR's on it. I hardly knew it was back there.

This towing was/is being done with my '02 F150 Supercrew w/tow package (2 wheel drive).

Sounds like something else may be wrong in your case.

--James

Reply to
RocknTJ

My tow vehicle is an 85 Winnebago 25' "C". I rebuilt the 350 engine w/goodies, and it's powerful enough to pull the Jeep. I've got good shocks on the RV. I'm going to try it again since the Jeep had a bit of wandering when I towed it and that has been fixed (alignment). I've strengthened the receiver on the RV to make it as safe as possible. The RV is old and I am due for a new one soon.

Andy

Reply to
Andy

Reply to
RoyJ

You say that using a trailer will put you over the limit. The way I see a trailer is, it might be some extra weight but, it will have it's own brakes. So the extra weight really isn't going to be that much of a factor for safety. If you get a dual axle trailer, like you should, and you load the Jeep properly then tongue weight won't be an issue either.

--James

Reply to
RocknTJ

I towed with the steering unlocked, except, I pulled the keys out to get a pop. Then, and I admit, I didn't unlock the steering again for some distance until I remembered with an aw s__t! I suppose that could have put some cupping on the tires. It's very slight and they are on the back now. The front end is in excellent shape. I'm going to flat tow it again and see what happens.

Andy

Reply to
Andy

I flat tow my TJ behind an Expedition

Its got a 4.5" in lift with 33" tires. I know its back there but there is never anything unsettling about it. Behind a motor home you shouldn't even know its there.

Some things to check:

  1. Alinement

  1. Is the tow bar level? With the lift you may need a new hitch with a bigger rise.

  2. Is the base of the tow bar's "A" as wide as possible? Mine is even with the frame rails. If I ever build a "real" bumper for the front, the mounts for the tow bar will go even further apart.

Check those things and your TJ should go back to being a docile little tagalong. ;-)

Dean here are some plans to build your own "real" rear bumper. http://www.m>Hi fellow Jeepers,

Reply to
Dean

Thanks Dean, I liked your rear "real" bumper. Yep, my tow bar is level - had to have made a hitch to reach the height of the Jeep but it's right on. The tow bar is wide.

I did make adjustments to the alignment and balance of the tires. I'm going to tow it again.

Thanks,

Reply to
Andy