Rancho , BDS , or Pro Comp

Looking for a little help with SUSPENSION from any of you Jeep enthusiasts out there. I've a '96 Cherokee,XJ, I just got it, it's a 2-door, 5-sp. green, and clean, and ready for upgrades. I'm planning to order a full exhaust with headers (maybe Gibson, I've heard they're all pretty comparable,,) an upgraded intake, and a full new SUSPENSION KIT w/ 3 in. lift.

4 Wheel Parts Wholesalers told me they had a Pro Comp kit which was one of the best, they say it's as good or better than any Rancho, or such,, but then I later find out that Pro Comp is their line..? So, then I talked to a good local 4x4 center, who has nearly talked me into a new BDS kit instead, for about a hundred dollars more. I've always heard Rancho though also...

I'd like something good, with a taste of performance handling, and most definitely something comfortable (before this winter's torn up streets of Boston, where I do most of my driving.) I don't really do much 4-wheeling though, since I left Colorado three years ago. High speed street handling is also an interest of mine, although I don't need to sacrifice too much comfort. I just want the right kit though, and I'm torn between the two. Any suggestions?

with VW's in the past I've gone Boge, and then Bilstein, which I've since preferred, so I can appreciate quality in a suspension system. I do have a tendency to beat up my vehicles too, driving them hard, so something that will hold up, do the job, and even maybe carry a load once in a while is something I'd be looking for. The complete Pro Comp Kit is only about $500 though and they say its as good as just about anything out there.

Thank you in advance to any of you inspiring Jeepsters.

I really can't wait to start rallying this thing!

I've also heard about some nice cam or computer chip upgrade which is reliable and just then fully dials the 4.0 in... but I still need to look into it further.

thank you,, ben

Reply to
Ben-town

Stay away from Rancho and Pro Comp. Yes, the latter is the 4 Wheel Parts line. Most of their suspensions are extremely stiff, poor ride quality and flex off road. I'd pass. Rancho is simply crap, most of their stuff is cheap junk sourced from overseas.

Best XJ suspensions I've seen have been from Rubicon Express or Tera. Tomken specializes in XJ, but I've not been impressed with the quality of their components over the years and wouldn't trust a full suspension from them. As far as BDS goes, I really like their leaf spring kits for CJ & YJ but have no experience with their XJ kit, Other mfrs out there are Skyjacker and Superlift, but I can't comment, no experience.

Reply to
Gerald G. McGeorge

I agree with Gerald here... I'll add that the only experience I've had with BDS is the 3" lift on my very own TJ. It rides nicely on road (ditch the BDS shocks, too stiff, get DT3000 or something like that) and flexes like a monster off-road. n.

Reply to
Nathan Otis

At the risk of being accuse of blasphemy, my suggestion, based on the kind of driving that you will be doing, is that you do not need any kind of lift kit. You should get a good set of aggressive snow tires in a reasonable size for the stock height suspension and put on a good set of shocks. Skip the lift kit. The pot-holes in Boston are not *that* big my friend... Oh, and you will still be able to take it off-road occasionally if you want, you'd just have 1-1/2" less ground clearance.

-Fred W

Reply to
Fred W.

I agree with fred, if you want handling, and don't intend to rock-crawl, don't mess with it. BTW, Nothing wrong with Bilstien, the set under my Jeepster have been there for 13 years, and they STILL work well. I considered changing to Edelbrock IAS last year, and removed mine for measurement, but found they are in excellent condition and I can't justify replacement.

Reply to
Paul Calman

Old Man Emu. I recommend it without reservation. Stiffer ride, but much more comfortable and controllable. About 2.5 inches of lift, depending on your vehicle weight. Not cheap, though definitely worth it. The stock suspension sucks by comparison.

I installed a kit on my old 91 XJ and was very pleased.

John Davies SPokane WA USA

Reply to
John Davies

I have Rough Country lift and have been very happy with it.

Reply to
Kevin Greene