Replace axle on 1991 Cherokee

I need to replace a bent drivers side (rear) axle on a 1991 Jeep Cherokee 4x4 with ABS / Auto / 4.0 L engine. I'm wondering how difficult this will be to do in my garage with simple hand tools. As far as I understand it, I need to:

- Remove the wheel

- Remove the drum

- Remove the differential cover

From here, how do I get the old axle off? Do I need special tools? I

have average technical skills, and have done some light car repairs in the past. Is this something I should not attempt? Can anyone recommend a place to buy the replacement axle?

Thanks in advance, Bud

Reply to
Bud

Sounds like you have a bent axle shaft, and not a bent axle housing. Are you positive that the housing is not bent? Also can you tell us what axle you have? Is it a D35, that would be my guess. Some axles come apart a little different than others.

Reply to
Rusted

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

The markings on the differential are "35C", which I assume is a Dana

35C. I am not positive the axle is bent. All I know is that the wheel woobles when turning as a result of being hit by another car on that side. I was told the most likely culprit was the axle shaft, not the housing. Looking underneath the car I cannot see any visible damage to the housing, but this probably does not mean much. I won't be able to tell for sure until I get the axle shaft out and inspect it.

Thanks much for your reply. Bud

Reply to
Bud

Have the wheel itself checked on a spin balancer before you go replacing an axle.

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

Agreed, wife hit the curb on ice in our Grand Am, almost undrivable after, it was the wheel, tire never blew though.

Reply to
Greg