Damper mount on axle casing - repair or replace?

The mount for my rear shock has sheared off, leaving a sharp rusty stump where there should be a mount on the axle casing. Should I get a new mount welded on, or would it be easier to replace the casing?

S111 Staion wagon.

Reply to
John S

Getting a new one welded on will be easier - but how much else of the axle housing is rusted away? Replacing the axle housing is likely to be more satisfactory, but is a lot more work, and if it is a LWB you will have to buy the whole axle assembly (changing the diff over on a salisbury is not feasible).

If you are paying someone to do it, you will probably find replacing the whole axle assembly will be cheaper anyway. JD

Reply to
JD

It really depends on how much you can do yourself. Changing the axle case is time consuming, but not rocket scince, but if you can weld, or have a mate who can, that that would be a lot quicker - personly I subscribe to the "better the devil you know" theory - if the axles good, stick with it.

Cheers Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Leaf sprung, isn't the shock mounted to a plate bolted under the spring with the U-bolts? Just fit a new plate.

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon

Hmm, well, the mount on the other side is also weak, but could be made sound with a patch. I was under the impression that the axle casing was seperable from the diff housing, but a quick look in the Haynes tells me it's all one big part. I dont like the idea of swappin the whole assembly out, so I'll see what the local welder says, and take a view then. Thanks for the pointers JD.

Reply to
John S

I think he must have a lwb, which will have the shock attachment welded to the axle, and will be a salisbury axle. JD

Reply to
JD

(changing the diff over on a salisbury is not feasible). Why is that ?

Paul

Reply to
Megalowmania

It needs a special tool to stretch the casing slightly for removal, and also you disturb the pinion bearings and have to set them up again.

Reply to
David G. Bell

It is feasible but you need spreaders to jack the axle case apart to get the diff out It doesn't drop out the front like the rover axle does

Reply to
Andy.Smalley

Speaking of rover diffs - does anybody know if the studs on the housing are replacable?

I'm about to have to cut off a couple of them to get a stuffed diff out and could really do with saving the effort if they're not replacable.

I've already tried heat and a cold chisel - they seem to have decided to become one with the nuts.

P.

Reply to
Paul S. Brown

Yep.....they're only bolts held in with lock wire.

Reply to
EMB

If you cannot get somebody to weld it, and wanted to avoid replacing the axle casing, you could fit two of the shock absorber mounting plates (as used on non salisbury axled vehicles). that bold under the axle. Assuiming they fit, (which they probably do?) You would also have to replace your shock absorbers then, but its still less work than doing an axle casing!.

Welding it back on would still seem to be the easiest option though!

Reply to
Tom Woods

In theory.........

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

561196 - Long, 27p each (inc VAT) 561195 - Short, 25p each (inc VAT)

Hammer in and out - a doddle.

Cheers Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd