Stuck in neutral

My son was driving the TJ the other day, and as he was parking at his job, it would no longer go in any gear. When I arrived to check it out, he was right... it would move left to right in neutral (felt normal) but would not go in any other gear. So I wiggled, bumped, slapped, held my mouth is several different ways, and it finally started working again and has been fine ever since. But I worry that it may happen again, and don't understand why it happened. My CJ did something similar a while back. It was one of those pins that go in the side of the bottom of the shifter and caused the sliders in the top of the tranny to get out of sync. I had to take the top of the tranny apart, line up the sliders, and put the pin back in. The TJ has the NV-3550. Any ideas?

Reply to
JimG