Superlift 4" Lift for 97+ TJ

I just finished installing a Superlift 4" Lift on my 02' TJ. All went pretty good and I'm satisfied with the results. Here is my opinion on the kit and some other info on how things went.

The kit consisted of the following (from the website):

Jeep 1997 and Newer Wrangler (TJ)

4" Lift System Main Features:
  • Preset replacement coils minimize settling * Longer front and rear anti-sway bar links prevent bar pre-load * Compression travel stop extensions for front and rear prevent over-compression * Tubular replacement front lower links restore caster * Dropped pitman arm relieves drag link angle * Heavy duty rear track bar bracket aligns body and rear axle * Eccentric cam bolts and transfer case lowering kit corrects rear driveshaft angle * Front / rear Superide shocks with yellow boots

My father and I set aside this past Sunday to install the kit. All told, it took approx 10 hours to complete the install. We used mostly hand tools and other things that the average person would have in their garage. The kit would have took 7 hours but we ran into a few snags.

My father had just recently completed a 4" lift on his XJ. His first comment to me was that he felt with the Superlift kit I got "more for your money". He also showed me the instructions and packaging that came with his and I can say that the Superlift has better documentation and packaging. My only gripe with the packaging was that most of the small parts were in one bag, not seperated good enough.

Day started with lifting the front, which went very well. Other than the pitman arm and the extended compression travel stop everything went just fine. The OEM pitman just wouldn't come off (even after buying a new 3 point puller). After 45 minutes of fighting it I resigned myself to live with OEM and only replace it if I didn't like the ride.

Superlift adds an extension to the travel stop, which makes it so long that the cups ends up rubbing the coil at full droop. They want you to bend the assembly with a 2x4" and sledge once the coil is in place. We found that this was a huge pain in the ass! "Forcefully tap the board until the necessary clearance is gained" (reads the instructions). All I have to say is "Easier said than done". Mine will probably need to be bent more in the future.

Other things were:

The 02' TJ's anti-lock brake lines run along the stock lower control links. The Superlift replacements don't address this, so you are on your own to deal with it. I trimmed the OEM brackets with a razor and attached them with wire ties and black duct tape.

Moving to the rear is when we ran into some frustrating problems. These problems weren't Superlift's fault though.

Problem #1 (1 extra hour). The bolt that attaches the track bar to the axle must have been put on with an impact wrench prior to installation of the gas tank. In addition it requires a very large (55?) Torx bit. The problem is that (1) there is very little clearance between the bolt and the gas tank - so little that once (if) you got the bolt going I doubt that you'd be able to get it out with the Torx bit alone and (2) the bolt is in so tight that if you aren't careful you'll strip the bolt or the bit (whichever is the least quality). Needless to say, we notched the bolt with a hacksaw and removed it with a crescent wrench. We replaced it later with another bolt.

Problem #2 (2 extra hours). The axle brackets that capture the upper link's rear eye have perforated "plugs" that can be knocked out to allow more adjustment. The instructions didn't have a clear diagram and the perforations weren't in-your-face visible. Closer inspection with a flashlight revealed them. Once found, only 3 of the 8 "plugs" came out with relative (15 min) ease. The remaining (after MUCH banging, cursing and frustration) had to be drilled and filed out. If I had to do this again, I'd have an impact chisel available (for the banging) or I'd simply drill and file them out from the get-go.

That's about it. Thus far I'm satisfied with the kit. The ride is very good, not much worse than stock. The OEM pitman isn't giving me any problems thus far. I get my new rims and tires today and they'll get their full workout over Thanksgiving up in Big Bear, CA. I'll post a follow-up to let everyone know how it performed.

Reply to
Crim

With that much lift, you might want to run through the alignment shop before you get too far. There are many reports that the 4" lift will alter the Caster Angle to the point where Death Wobble develops.

Reply to
CRWLR

Most definetly! Although everything seems a-ok I had planned on getting an alignment done before I hit any serious trails.

Reply to
Crim

I recently had my front LCA axle mounts replaced (about a month or two ago). Unfortunately, the replacement mounts don't have the proper CAM adjustment capability like my old mounts did (and I didn't notice this until I'd already paid the shop to install theirs. I knew to ask, but forgot. Oops!). Anyway, in the last few months, I have noticed a bit of bump steer, and tendency for the steering to pull left or right with even slight slope or unevenness on the road while i'm slowing down for a light. Does this sound like something that might be caused by insufficient caster angle? Is there any way to adjust this angle w/o CAM-bolt adjustable mounts on the axles while retaining my fixed LCAs? Or am I going to have to bite the $220 bullet and get adjustable front LCAs to fix this?

Also, is there a good low-tech shade-tree mechanic method to measure the caster angle?

Thanks.

Reply to
Bob