TJ Lift Kit ??

It's time to upgrade the lift on my TJ. I've got an old Teraflex short arm lift that has seen better days. I've been toying with the idea of a long arm lift but I can't seem to find much discussion on the subject around here. Are there other forums where the merits of the different lifts are debated? Searching Google for "jeep long arm lift" brings up mostly sites that are trying to sell kits.

Tia Dean

Reply to
Dean

I highly recommend the RE long arm kit. Putting that kit on made a huge difference in my rig. I love the way it handles now. Try searching this forum for "long arms" and see what you get. I know there are some threads on it out there.

-jenn

Reply to
jbjeep

I converted from a "Heinz 57" 5.5" (Rock Krawler/Tera/Currie/R.E.) lift that used Tera arms (ugh!) and went with an RE 4.5" longarm kit. I sure love it, it's done well by me. RE's 4.5" LA kit is actually more like

5.5" so don't worry about running 35" tires. I also have a 1" body lift and have more than enough room for even 37" tires, though I'm running 35".

Jerry

jbjeep wrote:

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

Thanks for the replies, it sounds like two votes for RE Long Arms. I use my jeep as sort of a scout car, "what's at the end of that long dirt road? Let's go find out." So I need a compromise between on and off road handling. Running the biggest tires possible isn't my goal. For years now I've had very good luck with 33" BFG AT's and will probably stay with that tire. I've got a couple more questions if you don't mind.:-)

I see that RE has a 3.5" LA kit, would that be adequate for 33" tires? Going back to that compromise thing I'd like to keep the center of gravity as low as possible.

How does the RE kit handle on road? The skate boarding is gone. Stops in a straight line under heavy braking? Is it compliant over speed bumps, pot holes, doesn't beat the passengers up with a harsh ride. Goes around corners without scaring the driver

Off road handling? Articulates well without binding on itself, track bars, or steering components. Can crawl rocks like an ant?

How is RE's customer service now days? Six years ago I had a RE lift on this jeep that failed after about 15k miles. RE's customer service was the worst I've ever experienced. I swore I would never do business with them again. Well its six years later and they are still in business, are they any better? Are the parts that wear out easily replaceable and reasonably priced?

TIA Dean

Reply to
Dean

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

Kinda hard to say, as its been years since I ran stock or a short lift. I love the handling, and it stays on the road well. No problems with staying straight when braking, even with my huge ass wide tires. Great off road - articulation is very good. If its wandering around the road (with any kit) I would look at steering components - that was my problem, worn steering stuff, new lift. Fixed that, drove better than new. Those can wear out fast. Dont know about customer service, hope to never need to. Bought my stuff thru

Its a very good kit. I had called my fab shop to talk to them about makeing me a suspension (they build rockbuggies for a living) and they said to just go with the RE long arm, it will do all I want and more, and so far they have been correct.

-jenn

Reply to
jbjeep

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

OOOWWWIIEE!!!! THAT hurt!

-jenn

Reply to
jbjeep

At least he did not recommend painting it pink and installing a fringed bikini top.

Reply to
billy ray

Yea. But, if it wasnt green, it would have to be metallic purple or something totally obnoxious like that.

Reply to
jbjeep