transmission diag - does it make sense?

In an earlier post I described how the trans in my 94 grand cherokee laredo I6 was late on shifting from 2-3, and sometimes 3-4. You'd have to get above 3000 RPMs and let off the gas to get it to shift to the next gear.

1-2 is fine. This car had trans rebuilt at 33k miles and the torque converter went out at 66k miles. No chances since. 154k on the car now

Since AAMCO has free external diags, I let them drive it. They indicated 2 potential problems. They did NOT drop the pan

-Possible governor rings cuting into housin

-Possible valves becoming scratched due to contamination

Now the trans fluid and pan gasket was changed probably 30k miles ago, maybe a little more, maybe a little less. Can't remember exactly. Is there chance of contamination? Does either of AAMCO's "guesses" make any sense?

I will probablyhave the pan dropped to see if the fluid is contaminated,a nd then have fluid/filter changed and the pan put back on to see if it fixes the problem .But before am wondering if either of AAMCO's ideas could be potential problems.

Reply to
Evan Mann

L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Evan Mann did pass the time by typing:

- Possible flying livestock.

- Possible kickdown cable out of adjustment

- Possible sticky solinoid

With the problems you have had I'd suspect internal damage in the valve body.

Reply to
DougW