97 Kia Sephia needs a new exhaust.

I need to replace some parts of my exhaust (pre-muffler and the pipe connecting to the muffler).

I'd like to do it for under $300, if that is possible. Before I start calling around and getting rough estimates, I'd like some more information.

How should I proceed with this repair:

After going here and looking at the exhaust:

(prices are way to high and I don't want the pre-muffler)

1) I'm looking for an after market company that makes an exhaust for my Sephia. I can bolt on the exhaust myself and I do have a friend that can weld.

or

2) Should I go to a shop that makes it on the spot ($ 300 budget).

The CAT is still good, so with the amount of rust after CAT, I'm will to just get a CAT back system.

I'm not really looking for performance gains...but if some can be had, at little or no extra cost that is fine.

I have to pass an emissions inspection and safety in Virginia, this car will pass with flying colors, after the work is done.

Please, no comments about just junking the car, let's stay on topic, and that topic is to help me...thanks. I may just as well sell it after the repairs anyway.

This is not my only car, so I'm in no big hurry to repair it (I can wait for parts to me mailed, etc, if need be).

Thanks for your replies (post it here please)

Reply to
Steve

Doing exhaust work on your back in a driveway is not fun. Trying to free rusted bolts while dirt and small bits of rust fall into your eyes do not make for an enjoyable afternoon. This applies to any vehicle, not just the Sportage.

When my Sportage needed exhaust, it went to an economy shop and was done for about $150 (just pipe and a cheap muffler, no pre-muffler). After about 6 months, the "cheap" muffler failed and I took the vehicle to Midas and got another muffler with a lifetime warranty (for another $150).

My suggestion: take it to a muffler shop, but get a muffler with a lifetime warranty.

Good luck with it.

Reply to
schucha

We've found in our area (S-Carolina) that we cannot beat using the specialty muffler shops that have their own benders and mufflers. Never used Midas or the other national-chains, just the "Joe Smith's Exhaust Service" on the back and side streets. We've(car dealership) never had problems or comebacks from their work--their total prices are often equal to or less than just our cost on parts alone; and some are quite artistic with their abilities! HTH & good luck. sdlomi

Reply to
sdlomi