...and an excellent adventure was had by the Pajero club...

and the three landies that joined in had a fab time too!

Well, yesterday was the Charity Fundraiser on Salisbury Plain. The event having been organised by Bill McLean of BOFA 4x4 (oh, and he's a Pajero nutter - but we shant hold that against him)

We met up at the car park at Win Green at 1430, and at 1500, we set off. The only iffy bit being that the advanced party that were supposed to be clearing the way and checking it out - hadn't arrived. Ah well, we're landies, we're used to blazing the trail.

Well, the weather started closing in, and Team 1 (Comprising me in the disco, Dave in the 90, and Andy in another disco) headed into the first byway. not too bad, little bit of water, and then, where did the solid surface go?? oh and water, lots of it - FAB

well we tootled along nice and gently, and after a few minutes the two who were supposed to be trailblazing caught us up and shot through.

Well it was a good job they did, cos there were trees down up the way, and they met a nice couple of chaps out pheasant shooting in their rangie, and cleared the tree.

My only major bogup occured here, cos in negotiating my way around the rangie of the shooters, i misjudged it, and pull my indicator out. Whoops, two ticks and the other driver had popped it back in, and we were off.

By now the light was starting to fade, and the sense of "wtf am I doing?" was kicking in. Then my navigator (Hello Brendan) said "fun innit" - I had to agree.

Map reading turned into map guessing, the puddles got deeper, but we seemed to be doing ok.

Then an enlightened decision - at one iffy junction on the byway, it looked like we should go left, but the reality was a slight right - thank goodness Dave had satnav (That was a HUGE admission for me as I'm not a fan of satnav). Dave offered to take the lead, and as he had the gizmos, it seemed like a good plan to us.

Stopping for a comfy break (the joys of taking the 4 year old with me) a load of pajero's came through - they were team 2!

we let them have a few minutes to get clear, and then set off.

As we approached Wilton, we found the pajero's all parked up having a brew. So we carried on. Then, disaster - an RTA (not involving any of us) Hurrah for Dave again. a quick 180 and we were headed back down the road, one of the trailblazers was behind us (how????) "What you doing" she said. "Plan B" said I. As I had other vehicles behind me, we switched over to the CB. I exlained that Dave was going to navigate us round. Suddenly the Pajero drivers mantra of "bloody useless landrovers" was out the window, and the off-road camaraderie kicked in.

The next entrance to the byway was a bit of a sod, especially as the GPS picked that moment to delay the update. another u-turn and we were back on the byways. Time for a tea break.

We met the trailblazers, who were muttering something about deep water. Hah not a problem.

Tea break over, and we're off, and yes, the water was deep. How deep? well lets put it this way. I thought the electrics had shorted out. Then the lights came out of the water - oh f*ck.....

Then mother nature did something truly awesome - a barn owl at hover alongside the byway approaching the A303. it stayed there for ages, only flying off as we got really close. Why is it you cannot get your camera out at times like that????

a flit across the 303, and more deep water (ace) then one of the trickiest parts "when you get onto the next road, drive for approx 1 mile, and enter the next byway to the left. the mileage is crucial, cos if you miss it....."

Again, the joy of satnav meant we were on it in short order, a narrow ravine sort of thing with deep water, a couple of gentle ascents, and then a right turn, and ruts. lots and lots of ruts. Dave made an inspired decision to go high and left, i wanted to, but it was too late.

Then as we slid to a gentle angle, moving forard gingerly, horror of horrors - we slipped to the right. a lot. all those that could clench clenched. i thought we were going to tip over. Brendan though we were going to tip over. we didnt tip over!

a few hundred yards more and we managed to get level again - phew.

then back out onto the road, down towards airmans cross, and we made our way to the finish point. It was about 20:30.

It was 1/2 an hour before the first of the Pajero's turned up, and apparantly, they'd had some casualties - a seized alternator being the most major.

Well there you have it, the edited highlights.

I cannot express the fun of doing a night run like that, well organised and great great fun.

For my part, I was a bit disappointed, as the day was also about raising money for charity, and although we raised some, it wasn't really a lot (so if anyone want to donate to the Littl'uns Equine Rescue Trust please visit their website

- sponsor a pony - g'wan, its cheaper than buying your daughter a horse)

However, I can promise you that this run will be on again, in both daytime and nighttime form.

Oh, and for those of you that have been following Dave's posts about his 90, you can spot him a mile off - his grin is a mile wide!

Si

Reply to
Si K

On or around Sun, 4 Dec 2005 14:25:29 -0000, "Si K" enlightened us thusly:

not for me it ain't...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Excellent report Si, and a thoroughly enjoyable time. I'm still grinning now, that was my first by-way trip, first of plenty.

For the technically interested, the satnav setup was as follows :-

Off-road :- Compaq iPaq 3630 running Memory Map

with a Garmin Etrex Vista
as the GPS source. The dogs danglies for electronic OS mapping, excellent for by-way use, but no automatic route planning.

On-road :- O2 XDA SmartPhone running TomTom Mobile

using a Bluetooth GPS unit (BT44). Dogs danglies for road route planning but absolutely useless off road.

Regards,

Dave.

Reply to
Dave Gibbs

Glad to hear you dipped your headlights.....

TonyB

Reply to
TonyB

...and TonyB spake unto the tribes of Usenet, saying...

Reply to
Richard Brookman

surely splash

Si

Reply to
Si K

Hello I cant agree more it was a good day for all,

It was cold and wet but that added to the day, We had a few hairy moments but due to some skilful driving and luck we got through relatively unscaved, Andy had a fun moment when with little forward momentum he hit a muddy patch but got through and Dave's sat nav was a bit of god send. It was nice to meet up with some like minded nutters and have some fun. Being this was my first participation in off roading I will certainly make the effort of doing it again , but hopefully in my rangie which needs a bit of tlc to get up to scratch.

Maybe next time we could get some more interest and get more land rovers to come to make an even better day

Reply to
Brendan

I can confirm the heart missed a few beats when i took the wrong line and the mud got the better of me. What you did not mention, was that before this mud, were two huge ponds made by the tanks that run around Salisbury plain. Spending to much time looking at them as we drove past set me up for the fall. I think the phrase 'Look where you are going!' comes to mind.

Advice for anyone venturing up on the byways is to get diff and steering guards fitted. When we were on some of the ruts the diffs did get hit. On a wet winters day so so. But in the summer the clay gets baked as hard as stone.

Dave with his satnav saved the day/night by getting us all past the accident on the Salisbury to Warminster road. I had taken Si advice and got a CB which was useful on the day. Switched it on a couple of times this week and no one seems to use CB any more.

See you all at the next one.

And again thanks Si.

Andy

Si K wrote:

Reply to
ntlworld

You should try round my way then - damn thing never shuts up - but then again, I am on the M62 and a good bit higher than the surrounding land - I've talked to Wales from where I am (Rochdale).

Lots of truckers still using it, it's just that there are less casual users these days.

Anybody fancy a 2-handed charity run to play with this idea?

One car (I vote for mine!!) to the top of Ben Nevis, and the other one running up the Great Glen with decently set up standard CBs and run a raffle for maximum distance for a contact? (Yes, yes - I know - I've just breached the licensing terms for 27MHz Citizens Band - haven't I?)

P.

Reply to
Paul S. Brown

On legal power and antennae ? BTW does your email work ?

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Hrmm - it's a retired spamtrap (don't remember retiring it to be honest).

try landies at geekstuff dot tv - that should get to me.

Paul

Reply to
Paul S. Brown

Of course - anything else would be illegal. If you want to push a point then you could consider rigging a full wave antenna on the static unit - 35 feet of cable isn't really feasible on a mobile.

Paul

Reply to
Paul S. Brown

If we make the Chairty LERT (Littl'uns Equine Rescue Trust -

i'm game

Si

Reply to
Si K

Antenna gain is prohibited I assume ?

Steve

Reply to
Steve

On or around Wed, 07 Dec 2005 21:29:57 +0000, Steve enlightened us thusly:

mate of mine and I achieved about 27 miles once, near-enough line of sight though. And I could talk to people in N Devon from the sea front at Port Talbot...

Reply to
Austin Shackles