Del's shopping basket- welders

Hi ho gang there is this incredible bit of synchronicity that affects me each time I buy an urgently needed bit of gear some bloody supermarket bulk buys them in and flogs them off cheap so when I changed Mig's a couple of weeks back I was a happy bunny. Thank you so very feckin much Aldi

still they do have some gasless wire at about half price so thats on me list. Derek (to be fair I paid a lot less and I can opt to use gas or not )

Reply to
Derek

my new welder does gasless and i tried a bit when my gas ran out t'other week. I dont think much of it. messy, dirtys up your tip and sheath and spits everywhere and doesnt penetrate anything like as nicely as the gas does.

Reply to
Tom Woods

Did you reverse the output leads and use gasless wire?

I know it's not as clean.. most of my welding has been gasless with arc for my heavy stuff like chassis and custom engine mounts.

Lee

Reply to
Lee_D

Just following this up myself before someone else picks on some of the innuendo i seem to have laden it with! :)

Reply to
Tom Woods

yep and yep. some gasless wire came with the welder and i change the tip for it too..

its horrible compared to the gas welds from the same machine. You can lay down some lovely welds with my the gas (i've been making trailers and gates and just leaving the welds undressed as they come out so tidy) but the gasless ones look like theyve been shat out and leave spitty bits everywhere - and i couldnt see them penetrating properly through to the back of 3mm angle. My mate has borrowed my mig at the mo (with the gas) and he actually rang me today after using it to say how nice it was!. well chuffed with it :).

Reply to
Tom Woods

Tom Countered ">>t'other week. I dont think much of it. messy, dirtys up your tip and

"the mereist inking of a thought never entered my head" still for the money it ain't bad and ideal for doing sills on a Disco Derek

Reply to
Derek

muchAldi

still they do havesome

Hi Derek

Where from and what cost was your new "gas or not" Mig Welder.

John

Reply to
j.wirral

ah it was off Fleabay not perfect-I had to replace the shroud and retap the threads for the tip cost 60 squid plus parts.(I had tips so £4 for two shrouds ) .the Aldi one looks identical to Sip 150 turbo I bought (less the gas capillary pipe ) though I have seen mention of a conversion kit. It replaces a lowly migmate gasless which was adquate but had a permanently live torch - making stuff exciting working in tight corners

Derek

Reply to
Derek

Hi Derek.

Many Thanks for your prompt reply.

Cheers

John

Reply to
j.wirral

I just got a clarke 151en gas/gasless mig and it is feckin ace!

other suppliers other than machinemart can also get clarke stuff and at the same time as machinemart do their VAT-free dealies the other suppliers can also buy them at discount prices.

I found the guy who runs this place

to be reallyhelpful and quite happy to chat about what i wanted. the
forums are also great.

Reply to
Tom Woods