Diesel power?

Hi All Thinking about buying a 96/97 Disco with 300TDi diesel engine and auto transmission. What is the performance of this setup, I will be towing a medium sized camper trailer some of the time (holidays ect), the rest of the time it will be my everyday car.. Also is there anything that I should look out for when when buying one of these. I am looking at one's with around the 100 > 130,000 Klm's. Cappy

Reply to
Caploc

Hi All Thinking about buying a 96/97 Disco with 300TDi diesel engine and auto transmission. What is the performance of this setup, I will be towing a medium sized camper trailer some of the time (holidays ect), the rest of the time it will be my everyday car.. Also is there anything that I should look out for when when buying one of these. I am looking at one's with around the 100 > 130,000 Klm's. Cappy

I have a 98 disco 300Tdi auto which I tow a caravan (1500kgs loaded) and apart from the steep climbs you hardly know its there.

The vehicle is not the quickest thing off the lights but if I wanted that sort of car I would have bought a WRX.

It has great fuel ecconomy the auto is superb off road both on sand in mud and steep rocky tracks. I have decended some pretty steep inclines and the auto holds the vehicle well with only the slightest touch of brakes.

Check it has had the timing belt up grade (see elsewhere in this newsgroup). We dont have to worry to much about rust here in Australia but I guess you will need to check that out in the UK.

Reply to
Simon Mills

I have a 96 auto and I am pretty happy. I do find however that putting a trailer on kills what little performance exits and 60-80 up hills will be hard to maintain.

I find the jump from 3rd to 4th too extreme so either you labour in 4th of scream in 3rd. I choose to just plod below 80km/h as soon as it kicks down.

I would make sure the torque convertor lock up is working properly and make sure there is some evidence of the g/bax having being serivced. It is meant to have the oil and strainer changed every 40K. I can't even get the spares to do it from the dealer so you can bet how many they service?

In summary I would definitely try it with the trailer you intend towing, and perhaps also try a manual as I suspect these have gearing better suited to the TDi.

Regards Stephen

Reply to
fanie

The Discovery won the Caravan Club's "Tow Car of The year" (or whatever they call it) for more years than you can shake a stick at - says it all really!

Cheers Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

- except saying whether he should get petrol or diesel...

Reply to
Natalie Drest

Fair point - they liked the V8, but diesel was more "sensible"...

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd