Vauxhall Astra Turbo Diesel losing power!!

Hi, can anybody help? I've got a 2002 2L Astra Turbo Diesel that I came down to Leeds from Newcastle in tonight. All was well until Wetherby when there was a sudden loss of power and though the car didn't lose any speed it wouldn't pick up at all. I steadily drove home and everything seemed to have sorted itself out as the power came back. Then, on the final stretch, the power went again and I was left struggling up the short hill towards the M62 at

65mph. Again, the car didn't really slow down it was just that there was no power to pull me up the hill. I gave the car a bit of gas when setting off from the junction where I came off but it felt like there wasn't any power there, it just seemed flat in comparison to usual, though it still went. My initial thoughts are that the turbo might have gone, if anyone thinks this is the case do you have any idea of how much it might cost to repair (I've heard they're very dear), and most importantly am I damaging the engine by driving it while the turbo isn't working? In other words is it essential to repair the turbo? If you don't reckon it's the turbo, any ideas what else it could be?

If you could help or give me any idea about what I'm dealing with here, I'd be very grateful. Cheers!!

Reply to
The Honk

Regularly serviced? When a turbo goes you either see lots of shit being chucked out the rear end or it whistles like a banshee.

Reply to
Conor

Could be the Mass Air Flow Meter (MAF). This is fitted in the ducting between the air filter and the engine air intake fairly common item to go and relatively easy to fit. Shop arround for a new one you'll be looking at arround £150 from a dealer I bought a brand new one for my Astra from ebay for £45 including shipping (in a sealed GM Genuine Parts box even though it's made by Bosch) check out this ebay URL

can also recommend
for discounted genuine Vauxhall parts.

Regards

Ralph

Reply to
Ralph Bayley

Did any warning lights come on?

I would probably hazard a guess that there's something wrong with the vacuum system. Turbo wastegate, EGR, and inlet swirl are all actuauted using vacuum, so if you loose vacuum, the engine looses quite a lot of power. Also giving that it seems to be an intermittent fault, it's more likely to be the vacuum pump, or possibly a leaking brake servo.

Reply to
Moray Cuthill