Focus TDCi 1.8 fuel economy with Bio Diesel?

Hi there-I have had a 3 door Focus on a 54 plate for about 18 months now -the fuel economy I always thought was quite poor,but since using Bio diesel it has gone even more downhill . If anyone can give me a clue about this I would be very grateful Filling up usually costs me about 40-45 quid-using normal diesel, this would usually give me about 300-350 miles depending if I was doing more motorway/dual carriageway driving. With the Bio diesel I am getting maybe 250 miles- I have no idea why the mileage is so low, my only guess is that the A/C is on constantly ,even though I never switch it on. As it is under warranty still I have taken it the dealer a few times as the throttle sometimes sticks in 1st,each time they fix it ,and a few weeks later it goes wrong again. If I drove like a maniac every day I could understand ;) but I am Family Man these days!I must be as its Saturday night. TIA

Reply to
Paul Johnson

Documentation for my 54 plate 2.0TDCi warns that more that 5% bio diesel invalidates the warranty. This stuff might be alright for older 'tractor' diesel engines but it is not good for the fine bore injectors used in recent engines. Also my expeiments with fuel efficiency and aircon show no discernable difference in diesel useage with or without aircon.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Thanks for that-can you give me an average mileage you get per fill up please? Just so I have an idea where I stand,before taking it back to the dealer. TIA

Reply to
Paul Johnson

I have the 2.0 TDci in a Cmax so a bit heavier than your focus. I dont record mileage between fills but instead use the computer. This usually tells me I have about 450-480 miles to go when the tank is brimmed. In terms of MPG I get 33 ish around town and 48-51 on a light footed run. I rarely exceed 2000rpm in any gear.

2000rpm =70mph in 6th gear.

There are losts of posts on FFOC and

regarding fuel consumption thatyou may car to read. HTH

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

My W plate 1.8 Petrol Zetec would easily do 380miles per tank, 420 if I drove it more gently and/or did more motorway work.

That works out to be between 32 and 38mpg.

Your TDci has a serious problem if its only doing 250miles per tank!!!!!!

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

AFAICS the 1.8 TDCis do about 40mpg, the 1.8 petrols about 5mpg less. Certainly my TDCi does 40, which equates to about 450 miles between fillups.

Reply to
David Millen

My '02 plate 1.8 TDCi Ghia was averaging about 52mpg when I traded it in in November. That's with the A/C on all the time, and a reasonable mix of short (

Reply to
Mark Scott

Many thanks guys, am taking it in to the dealers this week.

Reply to
Paul Johnson

*Don't* accept what the dealer tells you. Be angry but polite at the same time... You know there's a problem, and it's in warranty. Don't mention the bio-diesel at all to them! Good luck.
Reply to
David R

Have it booked in for next week-will put normal diesel in for this week

-the bio tends to smell like chips,so it could be a dead giveaway. Thanks for everyones help-will let you know what happens next week.

Reply to
Paul Johnson