Fantasy Series LR

Here's the challenge...

You've got a Series vehicle which is pretty knackered apart from a solid galv chassis and bulkhead and brand new wheels and tyres. With a budget of 3 grand what would you do to it?

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

Give it to Lee and let him sort it out.

Reply to
Nikki

Fit a 4.9 v8, box and r-ro axles, and put the beat up bodywork back on it.

If it looks like a wreck nobody's gonna nick it.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Tim Hobbs posted ...

Leave the crappy bodywork, but make it a soft-top, full roll bar, good seats in front, possibly fold-downs in back (but not essential), decent V8 and well-sorted running gear would be my ideal. With a full set of recovery points welded onto chassis, decent towbar plates etc etc .. ;)

And painted Yellow .. Bright Yellow ... ;)

Reply to
Paul - xxx

Well I guess the galvanised chassis is also fantasy along with the bulkhead and the three grand.

What would I do, well I suppose a Ford V6 engine and disc brakes, I would keep the body looking suitably grotty though, don't want people to know what is going on underneath.

Reply to
Larry

A "Mad Max" with spaceframe body, V8 auto, SPOA and optional harpoon gun :-)

Reply to
QrizB

Ooh coming from a nearly 17 year old, my ideal Series Land Rover would have to be:

winch Snorkel disc brakes Ford V6 Disco front seats Roll cage BIG spot lights

Not sure how much this would cost but i would find it ideal!

aaarrrgh if only.

Regards, Ben

Reply to
Ben Sinclair

well...forgetting the galv chassis....

spend two years drinking beer and moving stuff around the garage till I'd cobbled something together.

:-)

Lee D

-- ________________________________

Just a little hobby site about Landies :-) ________________________________

Reply to
Lee_D

I'd need the galv chassis.....

One grand on other fiddly bits like steering rods and steering relay

One grand on the beer

And I'd have my current Ser 2a on a new chassis :-)

She does what I want and only the chassis is throwing up problems at MoT time (although a new carb would be nice)

Graeme

Reply to
Graeme

H'mmm putting my serious head on it would go something like this.... but I'm not 100 % on the costs but hey!

Series... so it's leaf sprung.....

Parabolics & Shocks

300 Tdi and 5 Speed box.

Snorkle

Winch of some description

a chopped rear door so it looks like half a door

Cabriolet style tilt

Safety roll bars.

forward facing rear seats for the kiddies and a nice set in the front..not buckets but something huggy and comfortable.

Stage 1 Axles for the brakes and diffs, stronger and higher ratio...these launch items in the rear of Percy so no need for disks

Chequer plate wing tops and bonnet tops...them posh laser cut type.

A load fuel and a holiday on one of them Pyrenean 4x4 tours.

if theres change then I'd consider Diff locks on both axles too.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Well, save the money on the galv chassis, and put it with the 3 grand gives

4 grand of beer!!!!!

-- Simon Isaacs

Peterborough 4x4 Club Chairman and Webmaster

3.5V8 100" Hybrid Part owner of 1976 S3 LWT, currently under restoration Suzuki SJ410 (ex-Girlfriend, at the moment......) Series 3 88" Rolling chassis...what to do next Pug 106 (offroaded once!!)
Reply to
Simon Isaacs

Personally, I'd buy a Disco, sell the Series and spend the cash on toys :)

David

Reply to
David French

As I already have a Disco, that is one of the available options..

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

oooh, i would be able to build my dream for that sort of cash. i am presuming the galv chassis is an 80" series 1 chassis? (you didn`t say) Im my version of the story it is!!!

I`d fit a prima perkins 2ltr TD with an intercooler (from a scrap vauxhall) and fueling/turbo tweaks - cos its very light, fairly powerful and CHEAP! A series 2a box with overdrive. (cheap) Series 3 swb axles (silly bearings and stuff on S1 axles) and strengthened half shafts. (cheap except for the shafts) Brakes from a series 3 LWB together with remote servo. (cheap) Lockers on rear axle. (ok, not so cheap - but i am saving money on other bits!) Snorkel. (home made so cheap) Center mounted winch (not so cheap) parabolics and gas shocks (fairly cheap nowadays) military shackles to really lift it and those expensive double cardon jointed drive shafts (may not be able to afford this, never mind) offset wheels with 7.50x16 firestone sat (fairly cheap) safety devices roll cage.(only the hoop, so fairly cheap) Soft top of course!

and I think that is about as good a trials/challenge vehicle you can get without going mad and getting an 80" ibex. I reckon I could easily accomplish all that for £3K and still have some money left over for a nice bronze green paint job.

Nick C

Reply to
Nick C

Yes, paint...

And how would you paint your Land Rover? There's all the standard colour schemes, including Camel Trophy and that current orange thingy, but what about something odd that isn't usually associated with a Land Rover.

It could be Ferrari red, or some sort of custom-car style of paint job (some people do that to wheel colours), or some vehicle from a film (A rangie in the style of the General Lee?), or just something like that Berlin Brigade urban cammo pattern (did anyone find evidence of it on any Landies?) but using metallic paints.

Assume scratch resistance isn't a big issue.

Reply to
David G. Bell

On or around 8 Dec 2003 03:29:08 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Nick C) enlightened us thusly:

you'd do better looking in a montego.

FSVO cheap

if yer going to trial it in ARC things make sure you use rover wheels.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Austin Shackles posted ...

Yeah, same engine, but bit bigger and well-sorted. Pity they put it in a crap car, but I guess that's what makes them so suitable as donors .. the rest of the cars fallen apart around them, rather than the engine blowing up .. ;)

Reply to
Paul - xxx

No, standard S2 88" variant, with modular wheels and 235/85 Trac Edge rubber.

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

I've always thought it would look smart in a bright red with a Union Flag roof. A sort of Italian Job thing.

The bodies have to be metallic IMHO, if you want it to look 'pro' rather than 'enthusiast'. If I ever manage to get a decent finish on the 101 I'll be able to prove my point... :-(

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

You'd have to have the horn to match!

Reply to