Front Hubs

Just got in from the cold outdoors where I have been checking over the hybrid, based on a 1985 Rangie.

I have just changed the wheel bearings on the front near side hub because I detected some play by using the tried and tested method of grabbing the wheel at 3 and 9 o'clock and shaking it, and repeating at 12 and 6 o'clock, a la MOT test.

I have replaced the inner and outer bearings on the hub and put it all back together and adjusted the endfloat to 0.07mm usng a dial gauge after rotating the hub to settle the bearings.

Put it all back together and the wheel on, and I still have some play at 12 and 6 o'clock, but none at 3 and 9 o'clock. Rotate the hub several more times, and I still have the play 12 and 6 o'clock, and none at 3 and 9 o'clock. Strip it all down again, check it is all rebuilt correctly and rebuild. Again, still the play at 12 and 6 o'clock, but none at 3 and 9 o'clock.

When I built the hybrid earlier in the year, I rebuilt the swivels, I am now thinking along the lines that the swivel bearings have failed or the swivel pins themselves are worn.

Any ideas?

-- Simon Isaacs

Peterborough 4x4 Club Chairman and Webmaster

3.5V8 100" Hybrid Part owner of 1976 S3 LWT, currently under restoration Suzuki SJ410 (ex-Girlfriend, at the moment......) Series 3 88" Rolling chassis...what to do next Pug 106 (offroaded once!!)
Reply to
Simon Isaacs

Simon,

I suggest you get someone to put their hoof on the brakes whilst you try to waggle the wheel again. This will eliminate any movement due to the wheel bearings so anything left will be caused by wear in some other component (swivels, track rod ends etc). If there is absolutely no play in the wheel bearings then they are probably over tightened. Did you check with the dial gauge after tightening up the lock nut? I find that tightening the lock nut often reduces the end float to below the minimum required.

Patrick

Reply to
Patrick Manuel

Already checked that, which is what is leading me to believe the play is on the swivel itself

-- Simon Isaacs

Peterborough 4x4 Club Chairman and Webmaster

3.5V8 100" Hybrid Part owner of 1976 S3 LWT, currently under restoration Suzuki SJ410 (ex-Girlfriend, at the moment......) Series 3 88" Rolling chassis...what to do next Pug 106 (offroaded once!!)
Reply to
Simon Isaacs

Oh well it was worth a thought. Can you shim the pins on a Rangie?

Patrick

Reply to
Patrick Manuel

Yes