fitting an adjustable drop plate over existing assembley

I have a 100 CSW (K) which has a standard-ish (I think) drop plate and towball mounted, the plate bolts to the underside of the rear cross members and has a couple of bars bracing back against the chassis. The rear face of the plate is almost flush with the crossmember, and the rear step and tow ball are fitted to plate. Standard deal, I guess

Anyway, I was give an excellent bikerack with a bracket which bolts between the plat and towball. This has always interfered slightly with the door mounted rear wheel requiring a bit of pushing to get it on, but recently changing over the rear step has made it worse, in fact it no longer fits.

I could get a spacer made to move the bracket out by an inch, but an aletrnative option would be to buy an adjustable drop plate, which would be useful in itself as well as sorting the bike rack problem.

Does anyone sell just the drop plate assembly itself, I figured I could simply bold it over the existsing drop plate and use the existing bracing. Anyone done anything like this, or should I just remove the old one completely and fresh with a whole new kit?

Anyone got an adjustable plate for sale?

Reply to
Charlie

Witter and Dixon-Bate do an adjustable plate that should fit directly to your setup. They both consist of a channel-shaped piece that bolts to the towplate (4 bolts, standard spacing) and a larger channel that fits over the first with the towball or whatever bolted to it in the usual way. Both pieces have holes drilled down the side and are held together by huge pins that go through the holes. Selecting different holes alters the towball height. The Witter has two pins, the D-B has one. I've had both, and they both work fine. Neither are cheap, but I reckon a lot cheaper than starting from scratch. Very useful bits of kit.

Also, it's 10 seconds' work to remove the outer bit with the towball on, which just leaves the inner piece and the original drop-plate. Quite neat, and very robust as a reversing aid in Tesco car park. In a 110, you won't see the Ford Ka behind you, but you will hear it long before you scratch your cross-member.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

:-))

Reply to