Gotta larf...

A letter to Practical Classics. Someone with a Series Land Rover is worried about whether a stainless steel exhaust will sound more "tinny" than a mild steel one.

Just drive it for a while, and you'll not be able to hear the difference.....

Reply to
John Williamson

I can't see why you'd want to fit a stainless exhaust to a series. A new complete system costs under £50, and the exhaust on my series is at least 15 years old.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

I fitted one, but after about 10 years, the welds failed. Rather amusingly, all within a quarter of a mile......

L.R.S. in Longton knew I was coming long before I got there.

Still, with Practical Classics, shiny is always part of the equation. My stainless exhaust wasn't shiny after a couple of years, either. The magazine did recommend a good, hefty, mild steel one, though.

Reply to
John Williamson

I find steel exhausts last about 10- 15 years as a rule, depending on how many tree stumps I've argued with. Rust is not a problem out here

Karen

If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning.' Catherine Aird

Reply to
Duracell Bunny