More on Chipping

Well, following on from the various threads involving chipping TD5s, I've plotted torque and power curves from each of Superchips, van Aaken and Diagnos on the same graph.

(The Diagnos graph is for a Defender TD5, the others are from Disco (vAd Auto, Superchips Manual) - so I appreciate it's not a very fair comparison. The Defender TD5 is supposed to be lower powered than the Disco from what I understand.)

I've plotted both "before" and "after" figures for each. And I've ended up with 6 different lines on each graph, each of which bears virtually no resemblance to any of the others.

The big problem appears to be that the "before" curve for each manufacturer varies as much as, or more than, the difference between the "before" and "after" curves. In other words, the cars they're testing are vastly different, before they've even done anything to them. OK, so they are 3 different cars, but given the engine is still a TD5, I'd expected them either to be the same shape, or the same magnitude, but they're not really either. So, comparing the "after" curves doesn't really bear scrutiny.

For example, the Superchips Disco (auto) isn't really getting much torque up until about 2500rpm, whereas the other 2 are well up the curve at 1750.

On the other hand, the Autologic Defender is pretty pooped in the Power front at 4000rpm, whereas the van Aaken drops off at 4500, and the Superchips at 5000. All of these are "before" curves.

So, I'm really no better off than I was before, but I would say the biggest difference between "before" and "after" is with Autologic on the power, and vAd on the torque in the low revband, Autologic on the torque in the high revband.

If anybody wants to see mi spreadsheet then I'll post it on

just as soon as I can get my network drive working again. Please note, my figures are taken from printed graphs, not original data, so don't expect them to be as accurate as the vendors' figures.

I'll add in the Autologic Discovery figures if they email them to me at a later date.

David

Reply to
David French

I've added in the figures for Dastek PowerPlug as sold by DiscoParts. What I'm mainly learning here is that everybody's dynamo seems to give totally different readings than everybody else's. I'm not convinced it's just down to the vehicles.

For example, the Superchips modified Disco gives about the same torque out as the van Aaken *un*modified one... in fact a lot less, at the base of the rev-band.

It would be nice to get all of these things on the one dynamo and test them all properly.

David

Reply to
David French

David French posted ...

That's 'cos although there is a standardised method of calibration for the dyno's, there isn't a standard method of where the dyno readings are taken from, and how. Some may be taken from the road wheels, and these _ought_ to be most repeatable, but I've seen manufacturers fitting smaller or larger wheels, for instance, to get more 'suitable' torque / power curves .. ;)

Some are taken from the crank, some from a n other driven area, and some may be not even be true power curves, but extrapolations from sensors in the fuel / air / timing systems ...

I view torque / power curves with an amount of circumspection unless the publisher / manufacturer details exactly _how_ the curves are produced.

Reply to
Paul - xxx

On or around Wed, 14 Apr 2004 18:59:53 +0100, "Paul - xxx" enlightened us thusly:

The only thing that'd make sense is to do road-wheels with standard diameter tyres.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

And same type of tyre. Different amounts of energy could be lost in the sidewalls of different tyres. Best to standardise to the max.

Marsh.

Reply to
Marshall Wilkinson