OT Car Oil Consumption

I write this here as I know you guys are rather knowledgeable on all things oily, and I can't get any sense out of the manufacturer.

Our car, a BMW 330i, has always used a lot of oil, as much as 4 litres+ between services and we have always been told it's "within tolerances of

0.7litres in 1,000km" and probably due to the way we drive it !! Recently we drove to SW France and I filled the oil to Max before leaving home, after a couple of days down there I checked and as expected it needed almost a litre of oil to bring it back to Max. Situation normal.

Spent almost another week down there driving around and then back home and some days later checked the oil and it was still at Max, a week later it was still at Max. Engine seems to have stopped using oil suddenly.

Any ideas why/how that could happen?

I wondered if this engine has an oil cooler and it's just started working.

Reply to
Bob Hobden

Same engine as my RR, it never uses a drop of oil at all.

Reply to
Nige

That is what we expected when we bought it, like previous BMWs, but this one has always used oil only now after a long blast through France it's suddenly stopped and I'd like to try to understand why/how.

Reply to
Bob Hobden

Very odd.

Reply to
Nige

Maybe the rings have finally bedded in? I drive a Volvo B12 coach at work, and it took over a year for the oil consumption to settle down to the same as the other one had from new.

I've also noticed a reduction in oil consumption after a long blast when an engine had been used on local work for a longish period, although admittedly this was an older engine. In that case, I suspect that the rings had got gummed up, and cleared with the heat and vibration.

I call the long fast blast in a town-dwelling car an Italian tune-up......

Reply to
John Williamson

My thoughts exactly, not only that, the oil you topped up with in France may have a very high detergent content which also helped to free off the rings. What oil does your service man put in here, and how *do* you drive it here?

Reply to
Oily

Seeing as I have known this engine and it's high oil consumption for 68,000 miles I always carry 2 litres of oil with me on any trip. It's the oil I've used for a long while, Castrol Edge Sport 0W - 40 which conforms to BMW LL-04. I often accelerate using full welly and am known by friends as being a fast driver so I can't see the "Italian tune-up" being a possibility. However I am wondering if the hours spend with cruise set at 130kph (82 mph) may have cured a problem since new like, perhaps, an oil cooler thermostat suddenly starting to work or a pipe blockage moving so cooling the oil and stopping it boiling off.

It's just weird.

Reply to
Bob Hobden

But does the engine ever get seriously warm or is all your driving 'round about town'? A quick squirt doesn't get the engine warm.

Oil doesn't 'boil off' but it does burn away if it gets into the combustion chamber. My suggestion would be that the engine has finally got properly warm and something like sticking piston rings have freed off thereby making them work properly and keeping the oil where it should be.

I don't think that a sudden bedding in would take place with 60000 already on the clock (assuming that the engine also has 60000 on it).

... but you're happy now!

Reply to
Dougal

No, I do mixed driving with longer journeys to Cornwall and the Lakes and France thrown in a few times each year. I think nothing of driving 60 miles each way for lunch.

Yes, and intrigued, but is it a sign something is going to let go soon.

Reply to
Bob Hobden

On or around Mon, 15 Jun 2009 17:31:48 +0100, "Nige" enlightened us thusly:

I doubt it, unless yours has been messed with. 330d, maybe...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

I read it as a 330d ffs.

Reply to
Nige

£3 6/-?
Reply to
GbH

£1 7s 6d, actually.
Reply to
Kevin Poole

On or around Wed, 17 Jun 2009 14:33:33 +0100, "Nige" enlightened us thusly:

Mind, it still shouldn't use oil to any great degree. I've heard this said about several modern engines, though, that they expect some oil consumption.

The TD5 uses a bit. about 6K since the oil change, I had to put a litre in.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Phew! I've got a 1988 V6 Commodore that I've put 1.3 million km on without overhaul. Power's way down, but it still only uses 0.5 litres of oil *or less* per 10,000 km. That's been on LPG since new.

So any idea why modern engines should use such large amounts of oil?.

Reply to
Paul Saccani

For the same reasons that they don't wear out (hard piston rings and cylinder walls) they never actually bed in either - you're stuck with manufacturing tolerances between the two which allows a wee bit of oil past.

Reply to
EMB

Our VAG 1.9TD is just the same: about a litre per 1000 miles.

Reply to
SpamTrapSeeSig

i think the long journey may have unblocked a breather allowing the engine to relieve crank case pressure the proper way and not allowing oil to go past the rings

i remember when i worked for bmw some of our lads had company rented cars and couldn't believe the oil consumption after our rover rentals had never used a drop

i couldn't tell if my disco burns engine oil cause most of it ends up on the drive

oh my MGZS diesel never uses any oil and thats d>>>> So any idea why modern engines should use such large amounts of oil?. >>

Reply to
mike hunt

My works van, 1.3 Tdi Vauxhall Combo, uses the same amount of oil per Km's as Bob was quoted. I asked the question at the garage when it was first serviced and was told that "....this is normal sir, if it starts using more, bring it in.". The van gets a hell of a thrashing round town and up and down motorways. My old one never used a drop and that had 120,000 on it, but was a 1.7 Tdi lump. The only problem i've had oil wise was when the nut holding the oil pump pulley on fell off.....lots of noise and a very lumpy engine. The tightarses at the lease company wouldn't pay for a full check over and told garage to replace the pump and "...we'll see what happens...".

Dom

Reply to
Dom J

My 90 n/a D used to do 500 miles to a litre till I put new pistons and rings in it now I dont have to top it up.

-- Jon

Reply to
jOn