OT Car Oil Consumption

I can't help but think that an impractical "improvement".

Reply to
Paul Saccani

Spoke to a BMW mechanic today, he said it might be the rings were lined up allowing oil to pass to the combustion chamber and aren't now. Anything else would have been picked up before during service. I got the impression he had heard of it before. Sounds most unlikely to me, I would have thought that after 68k miles the bore would be scored if the rings had been lined up for that length of time and there would be no chance of them turning. Oh well, another mystery of the universe.

It's used a quarter of a litre of oil up to now, two months on, which is so much better than before.

Reply to
Bob Hobden

You failed to mention the year but like the others said the rings could be goobered up, and with BMWs oil change reccomendations (insane) of 15k I can see why. Move it to 5 k with a higher detergent oil or additives, use some top engine cleaners in the cylinders, and check the CCV valve to see if it or its tubes are clogged up.

Joe

Reply to
JoemNJ

You failed to mention the year but like the others said the rings could be goobered up, and with BMWs oil change reccomendations (insane) of 15k I can see why. Move it to 5 k with a higher detergent oil or additives, use some top engine cleaners in the cylinders, and check the CCV valve to see if it or its tubes are clogged up.

It's an 04 reg 2004 year with 68K miles at the time. It's used (in my opinion) excessive oil since new so has had "total loss" lubrication all it's life, similar to a LR but no puddle on the drive. :-) The car tells me the next "Inspection 1, Oil Service" is due in under 2k miles so I will see what happens after that.

Reply to
Bob Hobden