OT: Spend a Penny...

I think your math is a bit out. ONE bag of old Pennies weighs 9K and contains 1,200 Pennies - that's £1,200 pounds by doing the current auction - somewhat more than weighing in 9K of not totally pure copper

- even at todays over-inflated metals prices.

I won't be bollocked for defacing coins of the realm if I sell them 'as is' _or_ melt them down - they are no longer coins of the realm.

I am currently selling 2003 2p coins for £10 each which have legally been (quite seriously) tampered with, as you know, and with the full warrant of the Treasury as granted to the Magic Circle. I'll soon be doing something similar with the other coins, especially the sixpences

- and selling them for £10 each too - making a bag worth somewhat over Ten Thousand Pounds (not that I intend trying to sell them all - but still better than melting them down).

Reply to
Mother

I was thinking in the event of you not managing to offload all half ton

- the price of metals ATM is amazing - some of the stuff we use (tungsten) is a factor of 4X more than 18 months ago.

"Defacing" is OK if you don't attempt to pass it as legal tender isn't it ?

Steve

Reply to
Steve

This sort of tampering?

http://205.243.100.155/frames/home.html

Reply to
Alan J. Wylie

No - but the link you've posted is something I've been thinking seriously about (or at least contacting the chap concerned).

Reply to
Mother

You'd probably be surprised what thier book value is, and given the book values you're probably sitting on a fortune. Unfortunatly you flooding the numismatic market with em will result in them being nowhere worth the book value. ....

Alex

Reply to
Alex

No. Any tampering of legal tender - for whatever purpose (making a charm out of a coin, for example) is technically illegal.

The only (to my knowledge) exception from this is the Warrant held by the Magic Circle and passed on by default to (honorary, permanent, inner, elected and full) members thereof.

The point being that the coins _must_ be 'seen' as 'normal' for the illusion to work. Even then it is frowned upon to in any way 'alter' the face of the Monarch (so my 'Winking Queens' 10p pieces - no typo, were not very popular at the time...)

I have accidentally 'spent' a gaffed £1 coin to buy a newspaper before now - and at £20 a time, makes for an expensive read on the plane.

Reply to
Mother

On or around Tue, 23 May 2006 22:03:02 +0100, Mother enlightened us thusly:

no, why have stacks of mint 1966 pennies (and other coinage) was what I had in mind. I mean, collection of odd coins, yeah - I've got some, but not thousands all the same.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Tetleys is always going to be cheap in leeds. When i was there 6 or 7 years ago i remember it being £1 a pint frequently (in normal pubs)

I think i once managed to drink around 14 of them (i have unpleasant memories of the day after!). Its a good job i can't drink anywhere near that much now im older!

Reply to
Tom Woods

TBH I'm not overly bothered about their 'value'. They're really nice looking coins and a piece of history for a large number of people.

Reply to
Mother

I think the answer to that is now ashes scattered to the wind. You rather had to 'know' my uncle and his quirky eccentric ways to understand (or not) some of the odd things he did. His estate realised 4M - a fair chunk of which went to that nice Mr Brown.

Reply to
Mother

Tetley, Stones, Wards and the like were intended, historically, to be weak as p!ss. The steelworkers etc would be so dehydrated that they'd easily sup 8+ pints at lunchtime. The factory owners didn't like drunken workers so put pressure on the brewers to make weak ale.

This is good news for us lightweights and I used to think Wards was a fair pint actually - not to be confused with the likes of the 'real ale' that CAMRA seek, though! :-)

Reply to
Mother

Twas 50p in my day. And that was robbery.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

Don't we have the Sheffield workers bosses to thank for the original licencing laws, brought in under the defence of the realm act for the first world war ?

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

Mother"

Reply to
Richard Brookman

I showed that page to Vicky and she reckons doing that is a Federal offense ( note authentic US spelling) and as she pointed out you don't want to mess with the feds as they have a different rule book and oops there you go it fell out of the window again Derek Jiffy bag rec thx

Reply to
Derek

In Carlisle, during WW1, the government nationalised the brewery and all the pubs in order to preserve the sobriety of local munitions workers.

H2G2 has some useful words on the subject:

The locals seemed to mourn its passing when it was privatised in the early seventies, proving perhaps that the *only* thing a government can be trusted to run well is a piss-up in a brewery.

Reply to
Alan J. Wylie

It's no longer counted as Treason (I think that went many many years ago) but it is still illegal AFAIK.

I'm NOT going to ask the Clerk tomorrow though, as I'll have to say why. My recent eBay selling has, whilst being positive and in a good cause, led to Charlotte demanding I divest myself of various precious things, and people in the office suggesting I clear the store room we can never get anything into due to other precious things. The last thing I want is for anyone else bloody well suggesting I sell of remaining precious things... :-(

Reply to
Mother

Eccleshall road!

Yeah, great shame - I miss the 'smell'. They are not 'some flats', they're yuppie heaven - 250K at time jobbies. You can always tell who lives there when shopping at Waitrose - miserable feckers. Given they live less than a minutes walk away - why on earth do they have to DRIVE there? Incredible.

Reply to
Mother