OT: Spend a Penny...

eBay Item: 8815654450

I inherited a large number of bullion bags full of old coins following the death of my uncle last year. One of these bags has now been opened and I thought it may be a good fundraising exercise, given the bag contains mint 1966 One Penny coins, to flog them off via eBay.

ALL of the dosh will be donated to the Alzheimer's Society - quite fitting really as my aunt is in the final stages of dementia and has been living in a care home since my uncle died.

Essentially, whatever the excuse - 40th Anniversary of England winning the World Cup, celebrating the year the 101 was first sketched out on a scrap of paper somewhere in Solihull - you're making a donation to the Alzheimer's Society - which is a very, very worthy cause, and getting a free, uncirculated, untouched mint condition Penny to thank you :-)

My aim, having put 1,966 of them on eBay is to raise...

... £1,966 pounds. Please click the 'buy it now', and I'll shower you with praise on the

site :-)

Reply to
Mother

And don't forget to visit

as well a click on the sponsors to further help the society Alzheimers is one of the ailments that makes the whole family a victim each donation helps. Derek

Reply to
Derek

Nige uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Cracking initiaive Martyn! I wonder what you would have got for a penny in it's day and if it's relatively the same as what you would get for a pound in this day and age.

I found one on Percys origional petrol tank... I'm still trying to work out if it's lucky... or just a penny.

Lee

Reply to
Lee_D

Well if you promise not to tell anyone...

... I remember quite well what I could get for a Penny in 1966 - and I don't recall, sadly, it being anywhere near the value of a Pound these days :-(

Not sure whether to play the Four Yorkshiremen sketch now, though ;-)

Reply to
Mother

On or around Mon, 22 May 2006 11:43:24 +0100, Mother enlightened us thusly:

Cardboard box? Luxury!

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Mother"

Reply to
Richard Brookman

|| I expect crips wer about 6d a pack in 1971. Anyone remember?

We were taught not to make jokes about those less fortunate than ourselves...

Kids today.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

you mean Yorkshiremen then ? I remember when wagon wheels were feckin 'normous you could barely eat one if you hadn't had breakfast or dinner.Its odd tho' you can still buy penny chews . Ratarsed on a quid thats when beer had proper prices oh crap its getting to me Derek

Reply to
Derek

On a similar note, i recently worked out that it costs me over 2p to 'spend a penny' at the current water rates on my water meter.

Reply to
Tom Woods

Tom Woods uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Don't forget the drainage charges too... now that is taking the pssi.

Lee

Reply to
Lee_D

That is included in my 2p. IIRC, drainage chage is based on amount supplied and is around 30% of the supply charge. I wonder when they will start metering the sewage line ;) (and at that point i can start claiming from the council for the mystery drain that comes into my back yard from the garages behind!)

Reply to
Tom Woods
1972-ish there was still a pub in Kirkstall (Leeds) that served Tetley's Mild at 10p a pint. Ten of those was a reasonable approximation of ratarsed FSVO arsed. Trouble is it was dog-rough, so it became known as "pint of beer and a fight please".
Reply to
Richard Brookman

The Sun near the viaduct???

Nige

--

Subaru WRX Range Rover 4.6 HSE (The Tank!)

We might be going on a summer holiday, the Greece Ball rally!!!!

Reply to
Nige

||| 1972-ish there was still a pub in Kirkstall (Leeds) that served ||| Tetley's Mild at 10p a pint. Ten of those was a reasonable ||| approximation of ratarsed FSVO arsed. Trouble is it was dog-rough, ||| so it became known as "pint of beer and a fight please". || || || The Sun near the viaduct???

Might have been. I was generally unaware of details such as names or local landmarks. I was usually too busy necking it down me, or focused on some likely lass who might be persuaded to share a shandy and two straws.

Actually, now I think, yes it was The Sun. Happy daze...

Reply to
Richard Brookman

|| You been to Leeds recently matey? It is rammed to the gills with fit || talent, posh flats & some serious money. || || If yer ever up for dropping in, I'll take you round a few places!!!! || || Nige

I haven't been to Leeds for around four years - since my Mum died, I have had no reason to go. I will probably return at some point, just to have a look at the old haunts. Deer Park, Original Oak, Chained Bull, Whitelock's ... If I'm going up there I'll give you a bell and we'll chase a few down somewhere. I sometimes quite fancy moving back to God's County, but then I look at property prices, and decide that Pembrokeshire has an awful lot going for it.

The Leeds I used to visit when parents were alive was a very different place from the city I grew up in. All those waterfront developments, and a branch of Harvey Nicks! What's that all about then? Eee, we used ter dreeeeam of ...

Sorry.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

Why what? Why I'm selling them off on eBay?

Simple - I have over half a tonne of the bloddy things (all sorts, ha'pennies, sovs, half sovs, half crowns, crowns, sixpences, threpeniebitiites and the like). They came from my uncle - who was a tad wierd (see:

). He left a very ill, with Alzheimer's, wife - my all time favourite aunt (we had a big family - East End thing, shagging was all there was to do in the War...)

Basically, I don't need any more money and was looking for another way to raise some charity dosh again this year (did just under 1,100 quid last year - first time I've ever broken the 'Grand' so this year is a bit ambitious really).

What else do I do with then? Sit on them? Weigh them in? I somewhat doubt my children would thank me for leaving a pile of coins in my will - 't cost them more to move it than they'd get!

This seemed a reasonable way to go I guess :-)

And you have a little something extra (fna) as a belated Birthday pressie :-)

Reply to
Mother

The price of copper at the moment means that weighing them in might be more profitable for Alzheimers charities. And you won't get bollocked for defacing coin of the realm.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

I can remember the Beano being 2d in...