Spare wheel holder - Help

Hello, '99 Discovery II Few days ago I bolted the spare tire holder off the tailgate in order to clean off the rust and re-paint it. It was bolted using using six

10mm bolts. Now, I can not put it back on. I am guessing there were somethings that the bolts were connecting to which havefallen inside the tailgate. Do I need to take out the tailgate panel (from inside) to get to them? if so how? Thanks.
Reply to
amir

On or around 17 Nov 2005 17:56:34 -0800, "amir" enlightened us thusly:

When I did this job on a disco 1 I think I found that they just have nuts on the inside.

panel comes off by removing any handles etc. then going round carefully unpopping the plastic fasteners. Tip-of-the-day: buy a supply of new plastic fasteners before you start, 'cos inevitably some will break.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Thanks Austin. I will try that. Will the panel look as sealed as before taking it off? It has never been opened.

Reply to
amir

...and amir spake unto the tribes of Usenet, saying...

Can't speak for the Disco II, but I've just replaced the one on my Disco I and it wasn't too bad a job to do. The six bolts screw into nuts on the inside which are not held in any way, so they will fall down the inside. You have to remove the inside panel (Austin's advice on fasteners is sound, although I got away with it) and if you have speakers in the door you will may to remove them, but no big deal. On the Disco I some of the nuts are a bit hard to get to and I ended up using various bits of wire etc to hold them as I put the bolts in from the outside. An assistant would have been very useful, but she was busy. The plastic sheet inside is held on with sealant and you will probably rip it, so have some sealant handy (I used clear bathroom sealant) to fix it back in place and make sure it's shedding any water that gets inside in the right direction. If you work carefully, both getting the panel off and putting it back on (wallop with heel of hand is the best way to get the fasteners back in) and you won't know it's been off.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

Richard,

Did you replace it or refurb the existing one?

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

...and Lee_D spake unto the tribes of Usenet, saying...

I replaced it with one from a scrapper that I cleaned and repainted. The old one had one of the three studs missing, and it was easier to swap. Funnily enough, on the "new" one, one of the studs is different from the others and has been welded in. Must be a common problem. Works, though. I still have the old "2-stud" version - it's joined the ton of scrap behind the shed that Di keeps reminding me to take to the tip.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

There's one on the Corpse if you want one Lee.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

On or around Sun, 20 Nov 2005 10:46:52 -0000, "Richard Brookman" enlightened us thusly:

They all do that guvnor. I was getting mine off in order to weld the stud back in.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

I've yet to take a good look...just the tell tale smidging of rust on the bumper when the back door is shut. Thought it may be a regular replacement item I didn't know about. I will have a butchers though if only to lube up the studs as they seem to be problematic from the way the thread suggests., what it snap/shear off.

Tomorrow is Mucky Monday, Morphs getting what he should have got last week but I was having too much fun with the CCTV and my milk burglar instead. Will check Oscar (Disco) once the knuckles heal up again.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

On or around Sun, 20 Nov 2005 22:30:40 -0000, "Lee_D" enlightened us thusly:

I suspect that mostly they pull out of the holes. I further suspect that the metal deforms due to tightening the nuts up too tight, which results in the nut hitting the end of the thread, making it worser.

that's what happened to mine, anyway. hammered the thing flat again and welded it up.

Reply to
Austin Shackles