Poor running 110

Please can you offer any advice....

I have a 110 2.5 petrol CSW (58 K miles full service history) Wilst out today, towing a small trailer, she started to loose any power and lots of backfire on overrun. When the throttle was opened there was little or no response then coughing and spluttering and then "SLOW" acceleration. When slowing down much backfiring again (flames could be seen out of the exhaust).

Stopped at my destination for 1/2 an hour and She ran well again for 10/15 miles when problems started again. Stopped for fuel after about 30 miles and all was OK.

Any ideas or sugestions would be gratefully accecpted.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Hill

On or around Thu, 17 Nov 2005 21:06:27 GMT, "Paul Hill" enlightened us thusly:

air leaks in the manifold or timing slipped, would be my first guess. Or fuel starvation.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Carb' icing?

Fuel cap icing up so tank wasn't breathing but the ice cleared when you removed the cap?

Reply to
PDannyD

Are you sure that you had not put diesel in the tank.

Otherwise it sounds like it could be a spark, timing, dwell angle thingy.

Reply to
fanie

Sounds exactly like carb icing. You'll probably find there's no hot air getting to the carb. I dunno how it works on your vehicle but it might be missing trunking, seized flap etc.

John

Reply to
John Greystrong

i had almost similar stuff hapenning when i had a crack in the exhaust manifold. only started causing troubles once the manifold warmed up, when crack got a little bigger. then crack started letting air in a caused backfiring etc, which caused manifold to get even hotter. glowing red hot in fact.

Reply to
Samuel