Help...88 4-runner starting problem

My 88 4 runner has failed to start for me 3 times now. My4 runner will start and run ok for about a month or 2 then it will suddenly fail to start.

The first 2 times it would not start I waited about 1 hour and the truck started. The third time I started it with jumper cables.

On all three times it has continue to start after I have gotten it started.

The battery post are all clean.

Any ideas on what I can check would be appreciated.

Reply to
Duck

you didn't provide details...........

........ by won't start, do you mean ??

?nothing goes click, no sound at all.....

?something clicks, then nothing......

?the starter turns and whines but the engine doesb't...

?the starter and engine both turn over at normal speed and sound....

?was the engine cold or hot....

?only on cold mornings......

give us something to guess with please.

Seasons Greatings....

Reply to
Guylaine J. Parisien

When you get in and put the key in the dor open alarm will work , blinkers work , radio works , then when you go to start it up you just hear a click.

On all occasion the engine was sitting for 30 minutes to 1 hour.

It has happened when I lived in Cal with temp above 90 and the last time the temp was arond 45 degrees.

After it starts again the truck will start ok for about a month or so or roughly 15 - 20 times then it will not start. I have jumped started it and left it sit for about 1 hour and it starts by itself.

.
Reply to
Duck

So, when it doesn't start, what happens? Does the starter crank over or not. Is there any sound (like a click)? If so, see this page:

If the starter cranks the engine over, does it just crank and crank w/o starting? If so, see this page:

-- Roger

Reply to
Roger Brown

"I found a spare holder on ebay$15...but the shipping is another $9. Thanks for the sources. Vince

Reply to
Vencil Selvage

Is there any sound (like a click)? If so, see

I put the key in and the door open alarm works, blinkers works , radio works etc but when I go to start it up all you hear is a click. On 2 occasions I have waited about 1 hour and then it would start and the third I started it with a jump from jumper cables. On all occasions it then would start up and be just fine then all of a sudden it does the click thing and will not start.

thanks gor the reply.

starting? If so, see this page:

Reply to
Duck

Is there any sound (like a click)? If so, see

starting? If so, see this page:

Those are the exact symptoms of worn starter solenoid contacts. They start out very intermittent, maybe once a month acting up, then as the wear accelerates, the problems become more and more frequent until one day it stops working all together. Best to fix this sooner than later, if left too long, the solenoid plunger gets chewed up as well. Then instead of a $5-10 repair, its now likely a new starter.

Reply to
Roger Brown

not. Is there any sound (like a click)? If so, see

starting? If so, see this page:

very intermittent, maybe once a month acting up,

one day it stops working all together. Best to

up as well. Then instead of a $5-10 repair, its

Thanks Roger much appreciated will get on that now I know what to do

Reply to
Duck