Starter Motor

Replacement installed 2 months ago can sometimes simply spin without engaging Next spin results in engaging just as it stops After that all is OK for rest of the day

It is under guarantee Should I ask for a replacement or is this a simple problem to sort out

Thanks in advance for advice

Julian

Reply to
Julian Pollard

You didn't say what vehicle.

Most LR's (most modern cars too) now have a "pre-engage" type starter, sounds like you might have one of the old "Bendix" types, is it on a series Petrol LR? If so, you may also have the usual crankshaft rear seal oil leak that ends up contaminating the Bendix assembly, so that the starter pinion gear sticks to the motor shaft first thing, so it doesn't get "thrown" at the flywheel ring gear when the motor first spins up.

If the motor is easy to remove, sometimes washing the Bendix assy' in petrol to clean it all the sticky gunge out, fixes that problem. But if it happens again, it's the leak that needs sorting, or fit a Diesel (Pre-Engage) starter instead. On a Series, that's usually an easy swap, unless the exhaust downpipe is in the way, if so, look at perhaps an early 200TDi starter. I think that will fit the same hole, and is a lot smaller than the Series Diesel starter.. You'll need to move some wires about, but the long term benefit should be worth it.

If it's a Pre-Engage starter (Big solenoid assembly stuck to the side of it, that pushes the pinion out into the flywheel ring gear, before the motor spins) what you describe shouldnt be able to happen, so it does needs sorting out.

If it's still under guarantee, ask for it to be done. Make sure the guarantee covers labour costs though, or you'll end up swaping it over yourself, else labour costs will probably cost you more than a new starter!

Have Fun. I'll be changing a PAS pump later. Loverly job, not!...

DaveB.

Reply to
DaveB

[...]

Many thanks Dave For general information I have a 1996 300tdi 90 CSW

Went back to the garage and am pleased to say no hassle - a replacement motor is to be fitted

Julian

Reply to
Julian Pollard

Excellent! Nice to get a result like that.

Not the same experience with my PAS pump swap, the "new" replacement leaked worse than the one it replaced! Did I swear? Sure did. That'll get resolved OK I think, haveing spoken to the people where it came from.

DaveB

Reply to
DaveB