tire size and rim size

Is it possible (and safe) to use BFGoodrich 235/85 R16 on standard steel Land Rover rims 16 x 5.5 inch ? thanks Fred

Reply to
Landy Fred

Not really advisable, the rim width is a little narrow mate. Discovery steel rims are excellent for the size you quote though. Badger.

Reply to
Badger

thanks! fred

"Badger" schreef in bericht news:d0h666$q40$ snipped-for-privacy@hercules.btinternet.com...

Reply to
Landy Fred

On or around Mon, 7 Mar 2005 09:16:54 +0000 (UTC), "Badger" enlightened us thusly:

or LWB series/110 steel ones.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

They're too narrow, Austin. Needs the disco steels, 1/2" wider than

110/rangie steels. Badger.
Reply to
Badger

I thought 253/85r16 was near as dammit 750x16 which is a standard fit on my factory 110 steels.

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
MVP

Nope, 235mm is almost 9.5". I know that's not a direct true measurement when referring to tyres, but it demonstrates the difference if you see what I mean. A LWB steel rim is too narrow for a 235 tyre, you are risking the tyre rolling on the bead and it would almost definitely invalidate your insurance if you had an accident. Badger.

Reply to
Badger

On or around Mon, 7 Mar 2005 11:11:43 +0000 (UTC), "Badger" enlightened us thusly:

235/85 is none the less standard fit on the recent 90s and 110s for some time, and at least some of them are on ordinary LWB rims. I've also had 235/85 on LWB steel rims with no trouble.

you sure you're not thinking of 255 or 265? I wouldn't fancy a 265 on a standard LWB rim.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Strange then that if I walk into my local dealers, all the new TD5's with steel rims have 7.50's fitted?

Most definitely not, Austin old chap. Recommended rim width for a 235/85 R16 tyre is 6.5 to 8 inches. it may be that since Landrover have offered the 235 width tyre as an option they have fitted wider rims, but I've only ever seen that tyre size fitted to optional alloys, not steels. Follow link for a lot more info than I can give.

Badger.

Reply to
Badger

On or around Mon, 7 Mar 2005 14:51:50 +0000 (UTC), "Badger" enlightened us thusly:

fair enough.

I rather thought that the LWB ones were 6.5", BICBW.

even so, 235/85 is a very common thing to see, 'specially MT remoulds in off-road circles, on LWB rims, and they don't seem to cause trouble. The

235/85 Colways I had on the 110 certainly didn't look like tyres on too-narrow rims.

by contrast, disco steel wheels with 205s on look as though the tyre is too narrow. The 31x10.5R15 that I also had on the 110 were, ISTR, on 7" rims; I noticed this when repainting the disco wheels, and seeing that they were 7" as well. I don't actually have any LWB rims to measure now, just sold 'em.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

When I ordered my colways I wanted 235/85r16's and the guy said he only had 750r16's but they were the same size anyway.

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
MVP

On or around Mon, 07 Mar 2005 18:45:16 +0000, MVP enlightened us thusly:

hmmm... well, sort of. I'd not fancy mixing them on the same axle, even if they were all radials. The 235s are nominally wider and also nominally slightly taller.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

This size matter always causes confusion. The original tyres that the Defender/90/110/Series Landrovers were designed for are circular in cross section, such as 7.50x16. When fitting more modern tyre sizes, which are invariably elliptical in cross section, you can match either the overall diameter of the original tyre (hence the 235/85R16) or you can match the width (which would be 195/85R16), but you can't match both. The overall diameter is important for gearing and ground clearance, but the rim width determines the maximum tyre width that can be safely used, roughly one size wider than normally fitted. But tyre manufacturers will specify the rim widths allowable for their tyres, and it is likely to vary for the same size with different tyres. Hence 205/85R16 tyres are suitable on a swb - provided you use lwb wheels. Disco wheels are suitable for swb Defenders and enable you to fit wider tyres, but note that they are not strong enough for the maximum load of

110s (or 130s). JD
Reply to
JD

Reply to
Andy Sargeant

On or around Tue, 8 Mar 2005 06:49:44 -0000, "Andy Sargeant" enlightened us thusly:

I'm fairly sure the LWB rims are 6J as well, although of course you need tubes. The main advantage I see in the wolf rims is that they're tubeless type - there are some tyres out there that don't take well to tubes, something to do with internal ribs, ISTR.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

It's never a sensible idea to put a tube inside a tubeless tyre, as the tyre itself can have ribs on the inside which will eventually cause deflation - sometimes rapid! No tyre fitter with any decent ammount of training or intelligence (rules out qwik-fart! ) will fit a tube to a tubeless rim or tyre as they understand the implications and potentially disasterous consequences, including voiding insurance. From what I remember, older SWB rims were 5J, LWB and 110 were 5.5J, Rangie steels were either 5.5 or 6J and I *think* disco steels were 6.5J? I ran a set of 235's on disco rims once, but I didn't like them. The motor was all over the place in corners and they wore too quickly - they were remoulds though which may have been the issue. Minimum width for a 235 may well be 6J, BUT 6.5 is the lowest recommended. I would strongly advise talking to your insurance company for their definitive answer, it's just not worth the risk if it all goes pear-shaped. Badger.

Reply to
Badger

On or around Tue, 8 Mar 2005 09:12:16 +0000 (UTC), "Badger" enlightened us thusly:

The steel rims on our disco are 7J

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Ta Austin, that's one fitment size confirmed. There must be a database type thingy somewhere listing all the landrover wheel sizes and offsets etc but I haven't found one. The figures I quoted for the different rims width-wise were from memory so not guaranteed!! Badger.

Reply to
Badger

On or around Tue, 8 Mar 2005 15:07:47 +0000 (UTC), "Badger" enlightened us thusly:

Disco ones appear to have more offset, although I've not measured it. I'll keep an eye out for LRs around the place, and see what wheels are fitted with what, if I remember, in the next few days. Plenty to look at around here, and I know of several near-new ones.

Discos with 205 tyres look very under-tyred, to me. 225/75 on the steel ones ATM, look more convincing. Mine has alloys (also 7J) with 235/70s on 'em.

Reply to
Austin Shackles