Dealer wants to deliver a different VIN - should I?

While shopping for a 2004 Lexus ES 330, I expressed a concern about the transmission downshift delay reported by some, and that I did experience to a small degree on my test drive. One of the salesmen said that the cars currently in transit from Japan had that problem fixed.

I decided to buy, and the dealer put a VIN on the sales slip, for delivery on or about Jan 15th. He said they knew the VIN because the car was already 'on the boat' to come in at Newark. Today I got a call that they have a car at the dealership and available right now, (found somewhere), with a different VIN. The new VIN has a different 9th digit (5 not 8), which seems to be in a fairly significant position in the VIN.

Any advice on this? Should I wait for the car with the sales-slip VIN to show up? Thanks.

JTHBA30G845018998 - sales slip VIN JTHBA30G545016528 - proposed VIN

Reply to
Cliff Chinaski

If you're not in a rush, I'd take the later VIN. You're hoping that Lexus fixed a problem with the model, so the later the production time the better.

Reply to
mvarchon

The car they're proposing to sell to you is 1500 cars previous on the production line. I don't know if this is significant in the "fix" that the dealer is hypothesizing or not. To be honest, I'd doubt there has been any fix, and if there has been one, I doubt the salesman would know about it. Saying that the problem is "fixed for cars in transit" is probably just salesman-speak for "what do I need to say to alleviate your fears so I can sell you a car right now?"

If there has been a change, it is probably just another rev of the engine software and it should be retrofittable. But keep in mind that there have been lots (and lots and lots) of software revs to fix various hesitation and downshift delays over the years and some people still complain loudly and bitterly. (On the flip side, others say their cars run perfectlly.) If you noted a problem in the test drive, I wouldn't have high expectations that the car you're getting is going to be noticeably better. If this really bothers you, I'd back out now, wait a few months, then buy a car off the lot which performs acceptably to you, as is. Or make any purchase completely and absolutely contingent on a final test drive where you can back out for any reason.

If you do go ahead, I'd more concerned about where the "proposed" car has been for the last couple months, how many miles are on it, and how it is being shipped to the dealer. If you buy off the lot, the car is in front of you and you can make a complete assessment. If you're buying new production off the truck, then you know it will be a pristine car with only delivery miles. If you're buying a car that is being swapped with another dealer, you know virtually nothing. I avoid such deals, or again, have the freedom to back out for any reason.

- Mark

Reply to
markjen

The ecm update was for 2003 models only. The 2004 already has the updated programming, and there is no mid-production update to later

2004s. Both of the VINs are going to be the same.
Reply to
Greg Suzuki

Greg -

Your knowledge is amazing.

Do you happen to know if there is available a similar update for 2001 LS

430's tranny software? My issues are slow / hesitant downshifting, hard upshifting after the radar cruise control commands a downshift, and very hard shift when throttle is applied from idle after coasting down through about a walking speed. Or, perhaps more appropriately, how I can find out on my own reliably? (I'm afraid the local dealer has not been a reliable source of info on this model.)

-- Pete

Greg Suzuki wrote:

Reply to
Pete

Just for the record, the ECM update was also applied to '02s.....

Reply to
njbok

When I was shopping for a vehicle back in 2002, the Acura dealer gave me a brand new TL-S (with the window sticker still on but the odometer connected) to test drive and the Lincoln dealer let me drive a brand new LS. Why not ask if your Lexus dealer will let you test drive the specific car (VIN #) that he wants to sell you?

Bob

Reply to
Bobby G

I agree with Mark. I would bet there is likely no change in transmission programming at this point. Lexus has hung its hat on the transmission programming not being faulty, even though customer complaints continue. I had my 2002 ES300 reprogrammed about 10k miles ago. What I've noticed is that it performs fine at highway speed now, but is quite different at below

20mph. When I hit the gas to merge into traffic from a slow roll, like from a parking lot exit, I cross my fingers that it will respond. I would say that 50% of the time when I hit the gas in that scenario, the car does absolutely nothing. No engine rev, no downshift, just pure quiet for about 1-2 seconds. The other times, it performs like it should. I'll be reporting this to the dealer AGAIN on my next oil change. I need to check out lemon law guidelines, as this is definitely a repetitive and persistent problem with the ES300 computer. I should say that prior to the reprogramming, the car did not exhibit this behavior. It actually did this behavior in the 40-60mph range on the original computer program. I can honestly say that due to this experience with my 2002 ES300, I will never again purchase a Lexus automobile. I realize there are some ES300 owners who will disagree with my characterization of the car's performance. I guess that's what makes it a difficult problem to solve, as it doesn't seem to affect everyone.

Reply to
Steve Larson

While shopping over the last few months, I test drove three different 330's. Although I could force the downshift problem to happen, I decided it wasn't a big issue for the way I normally drive. I mentioned the problem just to put the salesman on notice that I wasn't totally in love with the car before we discussed price. He may have simply told me what he thought I needed to hear to close the sale, but I didn't really expect the problem to be corrected.

I'm sure there's a good business explanation for where the different-VIN 'proposed' car came from and where it has been, but I called the salesman back and told him I had decided to wait for the original VIN from my sales contract. He didn't seem too happy, but he said he'd call when it came in.

The "significant" 9th VIN digit that I was worried about turns out to be only a check digit. The rest of the VIN, if I am reading it right, indicates the sales-contract car is 2470 cars later in production. I can assume it's

2470 cars 'better', even with no fix to the problem, and I know where it's been.

Thanks for all the responses.

Cliff

Reply to
Cliff Chinaski

But I did neglect to include the '02. Oh well.

I've read in consumer reports the laser cruise is as abrupt slowing down as the MBZ S-class. I'm not aware of an update for transmission performance, but there is an engine ecm update which addresses possible ENGINE performance. However, it applies only prior to VIN

10019457 AND must have a specific MIL (check engine light) code. The best solution: 2004 with the six speed tranny!
Reply to
Greg Suzuki

Thanks, Greg. My VIN is after that point, and anyhow I have no issues with engine performance. Yes, the radar cruise sometimes is a little abrupt slowing down, but the upshifts after give a pretty noticeable jolt. The LS cruise also tends to make the car lurch forward when engaged if the car's speed is over the set speed at the moment of engagement.

The '04 has some neat stuff indeed but as magnificent as the LS is, my particular example - admittedly most atypical - has had just too many problems for a car in this class. And this city's dealer has shown himself completely unfit to service or repair the LS... it's so bad I drive the car 200 miles out of state for service. So I'm not sure what the next car will be.

-- Pete

Greg Suzuki wrote:

Reply to
Pete