Do Lexus dealers negotiate price?

I recently walked into a Lexus dealership after having seen an add on cars.com for a Certified Pre Owned IS300 for $22750. The add did not have a colour or milage discription. At the Lexus dealership the sticker price was $28000 + . The salesman asked what price had I seen it at. I mumbled "$22ummmmmm...." When we got down to crunching he numbers on a Lease he added on about $

1500 worth of fees which he said were non negotiable as was the 22k price. What is interesting is that I see the same year model (2001) at another Lexus dealer going for $19995 with 14k less miles, 47000 vs 33000, and in the CPO program ( 3 year warranty). What was confusing was that he first asked at what price I had seen it advertised and then refused to budge from that price without even verifying the add! I should have said $15k! Does anyone want to share their experience in buying/leasing a Lexus?. I had oringinally intende to lease a Honda Accord EX 4cyl or Toyota LE but then discovered that I could lease a used Lexus IS300 for about the same amounts. Any preferences either way? Which would you prefer? How about a CPO Es300. Keep in mind that 3 year warranty!

John

Reply to
John Smith

It's no different than any other car sale. Either it's a fair price, or it's not. No one is obligated to do anything; he's not obligated to sell it to you at any given price, and you're not obligated to buy it at any given price.

It's what the two of you can negotiate. If he doesn't want to negotiate, or if he's an asshole, walk away.

This has nothing to do with Lexus, and everything to do with (a) that guy, and (b) that dealership. They could be selling Chevies; they'd be doing it the same way.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Make him an offer. Whaddayathink, he going to get mad at you? He probably will. And he'll probably blow a lot of smoke in your face to make you feel insecure. That's how they make their money.

If you don't like his ultimate offer, go to the other dealer. Once they know your going to buy they'll do whatever they can to get you to buy from someone else rather than another dealer.

Buying a car is a zero sum game. If the dealer is happy, then you probably paid more than you had to. A good car salesman is one that gets a high "yield." Yield means profit to the dealership.

Reply to
David Z

You have to shop it, like any other make. Some dealers are better than others, and especially on pre-owned vehicles.

I recently bought an '02 GS300 - CPO, at a Lexus dealership - with

25,000 miles in immaculate condition for $31,800. When I went to pick it up, I saw an '01 GS300 next to it with higher mileage for $32,500. I asked the salesman about it, and he told me they bought the '02 better and were able to sell it cheaper, so you never know.

DaveW

Reply to
DaveW

This is Turtle.

The Word '' Dealer '' and the word '' Negotiate / Negotiator '' means the same thing. If he will not Deal or Negotiate -- walk out and find another dealer that will do his job.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

Right you are! I actually like to negotiate with a salesperson and after doing 'my homework' I always start way low. Several times in my 50+ years of dealing I have walked out of the showroom. My attitude is I certainly like the car but I'm not in love with it. Once the salesperson finds that out then you are often switched to another high pressure salesman. And this buy at $100/200 over dealer cost is baloney. Dealership wants to sell cars and make money on the service but certainly can't live at that margin unless they pack on all sorts of goodies. Dannie

Reply to
Dannie