Base price of Lexus LS hybrid: $104,750

Natasha Robinson | Automotive News / April 6, 2007 - 3:26 pm

The hybrid version of the Lexus LS sedan will have a base price of $104,750, including shipping, Lexus said today. The car goes on sale in June.

The Lexus LS 600h L will combine a V-8 engine with a continuously variable transmission and electric motor. Lexus said the powertrain will be rated at more than 430 hp.

-----------------

Anybody wonder about the sanity of someone spending $104,750+ on a hybrid? I am sure it is a very very nice car - but $104k??? For that kind of money it had better be making gasoline whilte you drive it.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Not too often, but occasionally I agree with Ed wholeheartedly.

This is one of those times.

But, they know the Hollywood Greenie types will gladly shell out for a high-end hybrid performance car that makes them look like they care.

Reply to
Hachiroku

The Hollywood types will pay the price. The only people that are concerned about the price of fuel are those that can barely afford the price of a new car and the insurence. People that are spending forty thousand and up for a vehicles are not going to stop buying what they want and need because gasoline goes up. ;)

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

I guess I don't understand the distinction between spending $104,750+ on a hybrid vs. spending the same amount on gasoline luxury car. There are rich people, who spend that much and more on automobiles. The Mercedes S600 has a base price of $140,675. The BMW 760Li has a base price of $122,600. So the Lexus looks like a bargain.

The Lexus LS 600h L has about 50 more hp than the gasoline Lexus LS460. There are also a number of luxury features in the LS 600h car that are not included in the gasoline LS460. Expect to see a LS 600h out sometime later (note the lack of the L luxury designation) that is priced less.

Reply to
Mark A

The S600 and 760 Li have 6 liter engines. The LS 600h L's hybrid powertrain has power and performance that is supposed to be comparable to a 6 liter engine, which is where the "600" in the designation comes from.

The "L" in LS 460 L or LS 600h L is for long wheelbase, not luxury. ;-)

Reply to
Ray O

I think we figured that out by ourselves.

OK, but it doesn't cost $40,000 more just because it is 5 inches longer and has hybrid drive. There are luxury features on the LS 600h L not available on the other models.

Reply to
Mark A

The MSRP of the LS 460 L is $10,000 more than the LS 460, so $10k is for the wheelbase difference and the other $30k is for the hybrid drivetrain and other features like the LED headlamps, and standard navigation, backup camera, air suspension, 19" wheels, etc. Also, the Lexus web site doesn't mention this, but I think the hybrid version will have AWD either available or standard. My guess is half of that $30K difference is for the extra features and the other half is for the hybrid drivetrain premium, still a lot of money.

Reply to
Ray O

Because you can get the Warm Fuzzies about driving a car that's more 'environmentally friendly', even though you'll only be on the volts about

1/4 of the time you're driving it...

Just don't think about disposing of the batteries...

Reply to
Hachiroku

=== Very interesting article in the Wall Street Journal not long ago about Toyota's marketing research seeking to enter the high end market. They discovered the purchasers of this type of vehicle usually own fleets of cars plus cars at their homes in different regions, so the Lexus wouldn't have to compete directly with other luxury brands as much as complement them. That is, the owner might drive the exotic luxury car for sporty drives and the Lexus for around town. Apparenlty people purchasing cars that cost over $100,000 live in a different world. BTW, if you read "The Millionaire Next Door" most of those folks pay around $30,000 or less. Nice to know Toyota is doing their homework, though. Similar very extensive market research based on field interviews was done for the full size pickup truck also. Because owners of luxury cars often highly value referrals from friends, I think it is Lexus of Beverly Hills that has a program where qualified prospective buyers are given the new Lexus then after thirty days, pass it on to a friend of their choice.

Reply to
nospampls2002