Why won't they negotiate?

Yesterday I replace both track rod ends on my car as they were worn, together with both lower arms. Around 2 hours / side, most spent freeing the track rod ends and adjusters. Absolutlely smooth as silk now, you can adjust the tracking by finger pressure.

So why do almost all garages shake their heads and say things along the lines of "sorry mate - fixed price based on an hours work" when I need the tracking set? Has the ability to charge on time spent actually doing the job gone? Don't they realise this is a quick few quid and then they can fit in another perhaps higher paid job as opposed to me walking away and them getting nothing.

Sheesssh.............

Ian

Reply to
IanDTurner

The message from snipped-for-privacy@AOL.com contains these words:

How odd. I've always take it to the local tyre shop and they charge about a tenner to check it and adjust it.

Reply to
Guy King

Because that's the time given in the service schedule. It may also be the minimum labour charge.

You obviously have no idea how most garages charge. Each job has a specific time listed to do it. They charge based on that. If it takes less, they win. If it takes longer, you win. For example, I once did a clutch on a Lada. 1.5 hrs to do the job. Only problem was the spigot bush had collapsed and wedged the input shaft in to the point where the gearbox had to be cut off the car. Ended up being a 4 day job including rebuilding the gearbox with a new input shaft.

Irrelevent.

Reply to
Conor