Front suspension noise

I am hearing a noise on my 1999 ES 300 from the front passenger side. Sound is probably suspension-related, metal to metal contact and only happens when right front tire hits large bump. Sound definitely comes from the passenger side of the car, from the front right wheel, or possibly a little further back, like under the passenger seat. This week, I had my car in at my local garage to change the oil so I had the mechanic look at it. He checked front suspension and could not find anything loose. He said he can't duplicate the noise while the car is parked so he suggested taking it to the dealer.

Has anyone experienced this sort of problem or could give me an idea what could be wrong. ?? Thanks

Reply to
Mike

Hi, I have the same proble, it gets worse in colder temperatures. I replaced teh stablizer bar link, the noise reduced significantly, but I sometimes still hear it in very cold weather (0 below). If you have solved your problem completely, please let email me at snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com Thanks.

Reply to
johnnywu

Sounds like the infamous stabilizer bar rubber bushing problem. You can take them out yourself and coat them with the white grease or you can just buy new ones and install them. Either way, if you keep your car long the problem will come eventually come back.

Doug

Reply to
-

It is probably either the lower control arm bushing, or the shock/strut. The easiest and cheapest thing to check first is the shock strut. Open the hood and try to tighten the three nuts plainly visible at the top of the strut tower. More likely though is the 3 inch or so diameter hex fitting near the top of the strut itself. To see it, you have to jack up the front corner of the car. the tire/wheel will stay on the ground, and you will need a very large set of channel locks to tighten the threaded hex head piece, visible high in the wheel well. I had this done on my 1992 ES, and the noise disappeared, although now, a year later, I hear it coming back. I also previously had the front lower control arm bushings replaced, and that fixed the "clunking" that I had been hearing when I drove over bumps.

Reply to
Pud Knocker

People com'on this is ridiculously easy.

upper strut mounts about 60$ a piece at toyota dealer, lexus dealer will probably bend you over for $100+ a piece. very common, nothing will happen if you keep driving on them

Reply to
Rog

The problem is almost 100% the strut mount is bad. There is a TSB out that states 97-99 model ES300 (as well as Camry's) detailing that the strut mounts need to be replaced. If you are lucky, your car is under warranty. If not, it will run you upwards of $600 + alignment cost to fix. Don't forget that you will need to get an alignment done. For those who are adventerous and willing to do some work, complain to Lexus as much as you can, call them as much as you can, until they give you a discount if not free.

Reply to
mbuster