Is this a starter problem on 1999 ES300?

For a couple weeks ive had a problem where i go to start the car, and i get nothing, no clicks or anything. I attempt a few times, and it eventually turns over. The other day i went to start the car, and nothing. I tried again, and it sounded like it had trouble turning over, and then after a second or so, it completely turned over and was running. When i got to my destination, i turned the car off and removed the key, but the starter was making the sounds like it was still trying to start the car. I turned it back on (without going all the way, and it fired right up). I did this a couple times and could not get the car to stop. Eventually there was smoke coming from under the hood, and the battery was getting week as the cycles were getting slower and eventually stopped. I think this killed the battery in the process, but will get that checked after i replaced the starter/celenoid. I located the spot on the engine block where the smoke was coming from. I dont have a working digital camera so i couldnt take a picture, however i found a pic online, and circled the part that was smoking. Its cylindrical in shape, and is on the right hand side, near the battery.

Below is a link to a image i attached at a forum, i circled the part that was smoking. (

kelly.hamlin

Your initial symptoms certainly describe starter issues to a T. Go ahead and replace that, or rebuild it yourself using the kit, and see where that leaves you. Good luck :)

Reply to
NYLexSC