Is this likely a starter problem?

My starter recently went from starting my 77 Type 2 quickly (though with occasional stuttering hesitation) to cranking a few times before it catches. Since that time the bus occasionally refuses to start altogether. When I bought it in Canada last April, it cranked immediately even in the low teens, but before the recent trouble began it was starting slightly more slowly so I think the recent trouble is probably a natural aging starter issue. My mother has been driving it during this time (she finds the seats are easier on her arthritis than those in her Lumina - an interesting new reason to drive an ACVW), so all I know about the problem is second hand. She says that when it doesn't start, the engine doesn't even turn over; when it does start, it starts just as it's been starting recently, with a couple of cranks and then a sturdy (but sometimes hesitant) start. The problem has occurred in both colder and warmer weather over the past few weeks, so it doesn't seem to be temperature related. The problem has begun since the installation of a new alternator and a new (to me) computer a few weeks ago, and the bus hasn't had the same power it had before the new computer - I've been planning to return it to the shop with complaints as soon as I can get my squareback running again (I know it has a starter problem). So does it read as though a new starter will solve my starting problems or do dying starters not tend to bounce so between working and failing?

Thanks,

mez

Reply to
mez

Find out if the starter solenoid even "clicks" under no-crank conditions. Also, whether the dash/speedo lights go very dim when cranking (the headlights are supposed to go off so that's no test).

I don't see any direct connection between the work which was done and this unless the mech disturbed some connection. Could be due to bad/loose battery terminals, even an intermittent battery.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

I had the same problem with my 71 just about a week ago. It stuttered and clicked while turning over, then it died altogether. I climbed underneath and shorted the large red wire to the small push on solenoid connector (with a screwdriver) and it started right up (key was on).

I removed the pushed on connector, cleaned it well, cleaned the post, and re-attached it, and now it starts just fine. The wiring in a bus is long enough (back to front to back again) that the smallest poor connection can prevent the solenoid from getting enough current to engage the starter.

Tom

Reply to
Duck Fizz Bang

You have described a situation in which you have occasional trouble starting your car. Sometimss this seems to be because the starter won't turn the engine over, or only turns it over slowly, and other times it is in spite of the fact that the starter cranks the engine just fine, but the engine still doesn't start.

If you brought this car to me, I'd start with the usual tune-up things: check the plugs and points, do the timing and valve adjustment, check compression.

I would be wondering if the starter didn't work simply because the battery was low from trying too long.

-

Jim Adney

Well, I couldn't tell whether or not the lights dimmed, as I checked it during the day, but if I pressed the key forward with extra pressure and held it there for a few seconds, it would start. I tried this a few times and then decided to drive the bus around so that I wouldn't kill the battery. My mother had left the parking brake on, though, and the brakes froze. I was too timid and stalled out twice trying to break them loose and couldn't start the bus again. I'd hope the new alternator and battery are both solid, although I can't be certain that isn't the problem. The battery connection certainly seems solid; if that connection is loose then it's somewhere out of sight. I forgot to take along something to bypass the solenoid. I'll try to get over there (she lives ~45 minutes away) again tomorrow and confuse myself even more.

Thanks to all for the advice.

Reply to
mez

The fact that it cranked after holding the key in could well mean a bad ignition switch (real PITA to change). Here's what to jumper on the solenoid:

On the frozen brakes: you *may* be able to get away with rapping the lug nuts with a hammer to break the rust holding the drum to shoes. If not, remove wheel and rap on the outer rim of the drum. It *might* help to try and loosen the star adjusters on the shoes but don't bet money on it:-(

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

I'm worried that it is the ignition switch, but I'm going to check out everything before replacing it. Thanks again.

Reply to
mez

Always set the parking brakes.

We live in a rural area. A few months back one of the neighbors stopped at the group of mail boxes up the road (and up the hill) from my house. The guy put the car in park, but left the engine running while he got his mail. Then he stood beside the car, looking at the mail for a few seconds. The car slipped into reverse, the open car door pushed him down, and the car rolled about 50 meters towards my house. Fortunately, the back wheels went into the ditch, and the front wheels stayed out. This caused the car to spin, and the car stopped with no damage, and no one hurt. The hill is a 10% grade, and there are lots of trees. If the car had gone straight, it would have been a mess.

Reply to
Michael Kelly

Well, I finally remembered to take along my Muir book when visiting my mother (as Haynes doesn't seem to have the necessary illustration) so that I could tell which is the starter and which the FI connector on the solenoid. Bypassing the ignition turns the engine over, so I guess it's a nasty hotwiring job until I can get a "new" ignition switch.

Thanks again for all of the help.

of course, her 96 Lumina is currently requesting that I service the engine soon, the piece which holds the driver side sun visor in place came out when I moved the visor to beside the door yesterday, and the "brake" light is convinced that I haven't released the parking brake since a few days after she borrowed the bus nearly a month ago. It certainly is nice driving a recent model car for a change ;)

Reply to
mez