More alarm questions and a wheel lock question

Since I picked up my '01 ES300 I haven't been able to figure out how to work the panic button, all I get is a beep. With every other car I've had hitting the panic button sets off the alarm. How does it work? The reason I ask is that last night the alarm went off at about 3:00 AM, I rushed out there and no one was around, the car didn't appear tampered with and the motion detectors lights on my house hadn't been triggered yet. I'm thinking there is some kind of malfunction.

Question number two. The car came with stock wheel locks. Is there somewhere in the car these are stored? I can't find them and the family I bought it from said the car had no flats or tire changes in it's first 7500 miles which is what it had when I bought it.

Reply to
Jim Tiberio

You need to press and hold the panic button to activate the alarm. A momentary touch will lock the doors.

The wheel locks are generally installed on the wheels. The key for the wheel lock is probably in the tool kit for changing the tires or in the glove box. If not there, look around the spare tire wheel well or jack storage compartment.

Reply to
Ray O

Thanks for the help. There is something wrong with the system because that panic button just won't work.

Reply to
Jim Tiberio

BTW, you are talking about the panic button on the key, right? You have to hold the button down for several seconds to activate the panic feature. If that doesn't work, then something is amiss.

Reply to
Ray O

Yes.

Something is amiss but it isn't the car. I tried my wife's key and it activated the panic feature just fine. Mine doesn't work but that's ok as long as hers does. Thanks again and now I have to figure out why the alarm went off the other night.

Reply to
Jim Tiberio

Try taking the key apart and cleaning the contacts on the button and on the mini circuit-board with rubbing alcohol and see if that makes a difference.

Reply to
Ray O