Oil Leak at P/S pump shaft - 1996 ES300

This oil leaking out behind the pulley. Is the oil seal replacement doable without removing the complete power steering pump? All comments and suggestions appreciated, TIA

...ricardo

Reply to
ricardo

Beezer

Hi Beezer,

Thanks for the input. This p/s pump is unique in that it uses ATF Dexron II or III for its fluid,in accordance with owner's manual. It has 2 inlet hoses from the reservoir! The reservoir has another 2 hoses, smaller I/D,(a total of 4 outlets!!) that goes somewhere front of car? (...what is this doing?)

The ps pump has 2 inlets and 1 outlet. There is a electrical pressure switch. It looks like its adjustable operating pressure. Overall view of the ps pump is square(ish) rather than round/cylindrical. QUESTION: Does this description fit your 1997 Camry? (Just ordered the oil seal from a Toyota dealership, hope it fits! ;-))

The ps pump is mounted to the rear of the engine. With the road wheel removed, the pump is partially visible. I am hoping that when the belt tension is removed thereby allowing the pump to swing down to expose fully or sufficiently to work on the oil seal replacement "in-situ".

Wish me luck on this one!

...ricardo

Reply to
ricardo

The extra set of output/inlet hoses is for the radiator fan, which is driven by the PS pump.

Reply to
Ray O

Not sure if I have the same pump but Toyota is the same company. I tried to get an oil filter from Toyota for my Lexus but they did not have a parts book for it. I later gave them the part number and they gave me the filter. I hope the guy you ordered the seal from had the correct info (I'm sure he did).

I tried to get you instructions but could not find the correct disk for my program.

Let us know how you make out or if you need help.

Reply to
Beezer