Lucas Oil to quiet P/S Pump

Previously, in this group I asked about quieting the power steering pump on my 99 Ranger. (I tried to reply to that thread instead of
starting another, but I don't see it posted)
Mine's a little more intense than most plastic-bodied pumps.... basically, when my truck goes by it sounds like a Star Wars TIE Fighter. The pump isn't bad, as it works just fine, the fluid isn't full of metal, and well... it's been a screamer for over 150K miles and hasn't blown up yet.
I've been suggested the Lucas Oil P/S pump "Stop Leak" by a few people (it doesn't leak, it's just noisy). I finally got around to doing that, but after a week and 100 miles, I hear no difference. Does it take awhile, or does it take more than a 12oz bottle to STFU?
Thanks
-J

That's a product that makes the seals swell up, to seal up a leaking system. I don't know why it would do anything to quiet a noisy pump.
Also, though, make sure it IS the pump and not the belt that drives it. --scott

Flush it out and replace it with a synthetic Dexron, like Mobil 1. Then add some Lube Guard Red. This combination will get it as quiet as you are going to get. Remember that there is no one single magic fluid for some of these pumps, other than to replacement with a genuine Ford reman. And they're not cheap. They have a TSB out on why their pumps are better.
Kruse,
So you're saying synthetic is the solution? What is this Lube Guard Red?
thx
-J

I wouldnt have added StopLeak if it were not leaking. Does it screech when you are going straight ahead? Have you looked at the fluid in the cannister to see if it is full of bubbles (gas cut)?
There can be several issues that will make a power steering screech, and I dont feel you have addressed the cause with this Lucas material.

the

I wouldn't call it a "screech", but more a moaning sound. It's very much a hydraulic pump sound, not like a belt slipping or a pressure relief valve (like when you turn the wheel all the way). I hear similar sounds from other hydraulic action, like backhoes and bucket loaders and things. The sound is matched to engine RPM, and if this were a V8 you'd think it had a gear-drive timing set. Moving the wheel back and forth doesn't change the sound much, only the pitch changes a little with engine RPM.
The fluid level is correct and there are no bubbles. As I said before, it doesn't leak and the system all works just fine, it just makes a very distinctive howl. This howl developed around 10K miles, and has remained the same even though a few parts have been replaced over the years, such as water pump, alternator, idler pulleys, fan clutch, timing belt and a serpentine belt. When it first started, I took it in to have the dealer look into it, and they said "for plastic- bodied pumps, this is normal".
Thanks
wrote in message

[...]
****** Well, Ive had that happen, and am sorry to say that I just rode with it. If it fails, fix it: if not, put up with it until you get tired of it. If you lose power steering assist, it can take some muscle, but a moderately strong man can handle it. If you have a child, a girl, a wife, who drives this, you might want to react more expeditiously.
About thirty something years ago, I read somewhere in an auto magazine that some of those stopleak additives have shellac in them.They might work ok for a while, untill the shellac starts drying out. I wouldn't trust any of those ''snake oils''. cuhulin

Technology has moved forward somewhat. Sometimes additives do a good job, but I think this is a misapplication.
phaeton wrote:

Possible pressure relief valve problem. See if there is a kit available.