unhappy with customer service

.... but please tell me - am i wrong????

I have a 2001 RX300 I bought in June 2001. it was a certified-pre owned with 12,000 miles when i purchased it originally.

I had always owned toyotas in the past, which I drove for 125,000 and

155, 000 respectively, the latter (a RAV 4) I sold at 155,000 miles to be able to purchase the RX 300. It is still on the road today! Since I travel a lot for my work, I was thrilled to purchase an automobile, that, I was told; would never wear out on me. I could actually get a car paid for that would still run AFTER it was paid for! And I loved it, the drive, the interior, the ease of handling, etc...

I had the vehicle serviced religiously at the dealership with no problems, unitl I took it in for a strange noise and a jerky transmission - sure enough the transmission needed to be replaced.

Granted, my Lexus SUV has 155, 000 at this point, which, for a lexus,; is not that many miles.... However, i had pointed out at 60.00 miles, while it was still in warranty, that when i put the car in reverse, it was jerking. They said the transmission fluid, which needed to be changed, would probably take care of it. It didn't, but i didn't think that much of it either,

Before my purchase of the suv, i had driven 2 toyota's, one of which we sold at 125,000 back in the late 80's; with no problems; and the other a toyota rav 4, which i sold with a total of 155,000 miles. The lady I sold the Rav 4 to is still driving the vehicle today.

So after hearing boasts of how the lexus vehicles last a lifetime, if they are cared for, I was dismayed to learn my transmission needed to be replaced at a cost of $5830.00. The lexus shop suggested I call the customer satisfaction line to see if there was any goodwill they may be able to extend, as i had a long record of service there.

Well, i never heard anything, then the local service advisor called to ask if i had indeed contacted the customer service dept; as they had not heard anything, and it was almost a week since i had brought my SUV in. i called the customer service line again, who looked up the record of the call, and said they had tried to call me back to see where the vehicle was being serviced. ( i received no call ) However i had already given the info to them, when I made the initial call.

About an hour after i went over everything again, the lexus rep (Craig) called me back to say he had called the shop, went over my record, and determined there was no goodwill action they could take to help me. he was quite abvrupt and cold about it, in my opinion.

So now my bill is $6185, $5850 for the transmission - plus some minor repairs they would do while they were in the garage.

I just feel like a transmission should not go out on a high end car like that, which has had excellent care... or if it does, the dealer should be willing to ensure a replacement at an agreeable price.

However, even though I will get the vehicle repaired..... when i get ready for a new vehicle, i will surely go back to a lower end toyota, or maybe a nissan. But, never a Lexus again.

Can anyone tell me if they have had an incident similar to this?

Reply to
drdgeary

I had a 94 ES that the trans went out at 124K miles; Lexus wanted $4500 to do it, but Aamco did it for $2300.

You pay for the Lexus "experience", including service. That 50" plasma TV in the waiting room doesn't come free...

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Do you honestly think ANYONE makes a car with indestructible parts?

Reply to
Road Rage

First, I think that requiring a new transmission at 155K miles is not a symptom of bad quality. Nor is Lexus's refusing to provide goodwill credit an indication of bad service, in my opinion. There's plenty else about Lexus's service and quality that I don't like though, that keeps me from ever buying another, and I'm 29 years old, so that's probably quite a few cars in my lifetime that will never be a Lexus.

Reply to
Mack

I feel for you as i think others have had issues with the transmission in the RX300s.

I would find a good indepdendent that specializes in Toyota's .... I am guessing you would cut your new tranny bill by at least 40-50%.

Reply to
Curtis Newton

get real

Reply to
old man

LOL!

Yes, we all now how well Ford and GM are doing these days. :)

Reply to
McPhallus

Yea, buy American. Let me tell you about THAT mistake. I had an "American" made car that, by the time it had clicked over 110,000 miles had had the transmission out THREE times. Front pump failed once, a piston spring broke once, third time it needed all the solenoids replaced. I spent $8000.00 fixing the f**king transmission alone! After 80,000, I spent on the average of $3 to 400.00 every other month fixing something that I shouldn't have had to worry about. I totaled it up. That American made car cost me nearly as much as the Lexus.

It's your money. If you want to spend it on a car that is "Made in America" but not as reliable as one made "Not in America" that's your business. Buy a transmission from Ford or GM for a Lincoln or Cad and see what they cost.

One thing I didn't see. Were the routine maintenance procedures performed on the RX300?

Reply to
Bill in Yakima