A3 saloon

I stopped at the traffic lights behind what I thought was an Audi A4, but the badge read A3. It was early in the morning, so perhaps I was sleepy or something? No it definitely said A3. Hmm. I seached the internet in the evening, but nothing came up, so perhaps I needed a brain scan? But I have now found that the A3 saloon does indeed exists, just out. There is a version with 1.4 TFSI which has 'cylinders on demand' technology to compete with diesel economy. Does anybody here know how this works? What are the snags?

Reply to
johannes

The snags are that VW's claims on fuel economy are wildly optimistic and should be ignored.

Reply to
SteveH

The official tests are the official tests. It must have achieved those figures in the tests. Sure, they bear no resemblance to real-world achievable figures. Sure, they're utterly gamed. Sure, they're about as useful as a turd in a swimming pool as a result...

But it's not really either VAG's fault or exclusively VAG.

As for the A3-wivva-boot. Merc CLA.

Reply to
Adrian

Yeah but, how about Audi's? ;-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

No, you're right. But VAG are one of the worst offenders - the TSI engines are no more economical than an olde worlde 2.0 8v 4-pot. (My Alfa 75 was only 10bhp down on my Golf TSI, but the Alfa could deliver pretty much the same MPG!)

Not really, no. The CLA is aimed at a different buyer - it's a shrunken CLS.

But the A3 saloon does look very good - it's pretty much the same size as the original A4 saloon. I can see me ordering one in a couple of years.

Reply to
SteveH

It's an A/B-class wivva boot.

Reply to
Adrian

Anyone knows how this "2 or 4 cylinders on demand" works? Is it reliable? Are there snags? Are the two idle cylinders still rotating?

Reply to
johannes

But expensive. Now u need at least 20 grind to buy a small'ish car...doh!

Reply to
johannes

Well, no, you don't _need_ to.

Reply to
Adrian

It cuts the fuel and spark to those cylinders when the engine management's various criteria for "low demand" are met.

As reliable as automotive electronics ever are. The concept's been around since at least the '80s.

Other than spending £20k+ to save a fraction of a penny per mile on fuel, y'mean?

Of course. The crankshaft is still one piece.

Reply to
Adrian

Audi A3 Saloon 1.4 TFSI as tested: £28,330 shuuuuuuuush!

Reply to
johannes

(and playing with the configurator on Audi's website can get a 1.4 A3 saloon to FORTY ONE GRAND...)

Fuck. Me. Backwards.

But, I repeat, nobody _needs_ to.

So - 60mpg book. Real world guesstimate, what, 45mpg average? Not bad for a petrol, right? Except that's what we've measured over the last 10k miles out of our '90 Pug 205 1.1, complete with manual choke and 4spd box. Advance? What advance?

Oh, wait... The Pug cost us over £28k less than that Audi "as tested" price... four-five years ago.

Reply to
Adrian

120d, auto, leather, driver and interior comfort packs, business loudspeaker (better speakers & sub), metallic paint... £31k.

New car prices have gone crazy.

Reply to
SteveH

I see your point. But it's not aimed at the 3 box saloon buyer. It's aimed at someone who would be considering a 1 series coupe (or the new 2 series when it arrives) or similar.

Predicted residuals are bloody awful, though - which is why I didn't order one.

Reply to
SteveH

Oh well, you expect us to believe that this was the reason :)

Reply to
johannes

Lol.

Reply to
Dave Baker

Why not? That would be the most efficient way. Just make the four as two modular units in the same block. No pumping losses from the idle engine.

Reply to
johannes

" "

Reply to
Adrian

It's more coupe than saloon - the rear seat space is very tight, and there's only 2 of them.

I think they've identified that many fleet user-choosers with a 3-series sized budget would love a coupe, but are restricted to a minimum of 4 doors.

If you're in the market for a compact saloon - you wouldn't choose a CLA over a Jetta / A3 saloon / 3-series.

Reply to
SteveH

A) cylinders don't rotate. Pistons reciprocate but the cylinders are stationary.

B) have you any idea how much extra it would cost the decouple the crankshaft or how much bigger/longer/heavier such an engine would be?

I'm willing to be that the absence of such a system in cars these days isn't a careless oversight but based on engineering and economic decisions by people who can do the sums.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+