A3 : Rear Brake lights staying on!

Hi there

Can anyone give me some advice on this:

I've got a 2001 A3 1.8T. I got out of the car earlier and noticed that the rear brake lights on remained on. I've checked the brake pedal to check it wasn't slightly depressed at all, but that's all ok. I disconnected the battery and reconnected to see if that might clear the problem, but no luck.

Can anyone give me any pointers as to anything I can look at?

Thanks in advance for any tips!

Cheers

Rob

Reply to
RobP

Ok scrub that. I did some better googling (results got better when I put brake and not break!!) and saw mention of a brake switch under the pedal. I had a little looksy and a rumage around, and to be honest I didn't actually do anything other than run my fingers round around whatever was under the pedal but that seems to clear have fixed the problem.

I took it for a quick spin around the block. Weird, cos I had no problems braking, but it just *felt* a bit odd, like the pedal maybe didn't depress as far as normal and it sounded more airy to the touch. But maybe it's easy to be paranoid about those things when you pay more attention to something that you previously just took for granted as working.

Reply to
RobP

Yes, there is a switch under the brake pedal and it can be a problem on earlier A3's (I had the problem also). The Audi centre replaced it under warranty, but otherwise it costs about 40quid to put right. I suspect it's just a heavy duty microswitch and with appropriate documentation is probably a diy job, although that would depend on your level of diy skill :-)

Reply to
Graham