Air leaks

I have heard that a good way to find air leaks around the engine is to spray a little easy start around hose connections, and see if the revs increase. This seems like it will work, but easy start is pretty potent. Is this a dangerous activity?

Reply to
Antony Gelberg

In news:4473826e$0$693$ snipped-for-privacy@news.zen.co.uk, Antony Gelberg waffled on in a semi-interesting fashion, it went something like this;

I find fairy liquid is a bit safer.

Reply to
Pete M

Carb cleaner does the same job, cheaper, and is a little less flammable. Propane gas is quite convenient too. I have never had any problems using either over many years. You can also use oil, but it is messier. Washing up liquid would be fine for pressure leaks, but you don't really want it sucked into the engine.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

The idea is to use a flammable 'gas' which if drawn into the engine by a leaking vacuum connection shows smoke from the exhaust or alters the speed.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I'd imagine a little bit of fairy in the engine would show a little bit of smoke in the exhaust or alter the speed...

DSt.

Reply to
DSt

In news:VjTcg.74607$ snipped-for-privacy@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk, mrcheerful . waffled on in a semi-interesting fashion, it went something like this;

Good point, well made. For some reason I wasn't thinking of vacuum leaks.

Reply to
Pete M