Astra Mk3 rear lights not working

After spending a short while wondering why some people were flashing me on the M3, despite my clearly having my headlights on, I realised that my back lights weren't working quite so well. I ended up completing the journey with my foglights on, which only annoyed people marginally less, so I'd love some advice as to what might be causing the problem. I know the rear foglights and indicators work, and the brakelights as well. I have reasonable practical skills, but cars are not my area of expertise, so if you can offer any advice, location and access on the relevant part would also be helpful.

Cheers,

Tom

Reply to
Tom.Wedge

Not working quite so well? So they are working, but dim, which suggests a contact problem, i.e. insufficient current flow. Look for corroded earth terminals or melting of/around the bulb holders causing poor contact.

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

I read that as a bit toungue-in-cheek. The most likely cause is both bulbs failed.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Cap

Sorry for not being clear, they're not working at all, either side.

Reply to
Tom.Wedge

That's different then. Check the bulbs. Their location is behind the red bit.

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

Could be simply that both tail lamps have failed, open the boot, look behind the light clusters and open the flap, the remove the lamp holder that's clipped in place by gently releasing the clips. If any bulbs are blackened then most likely they've failed.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry

Have you ever in the time you've owned the car bothered to check the bulbs to see if they're working?

My bet is a no and they've both gone.

Reply to
Conor

On my old Punto, once one bulb went, the other literally wents hours later. Must be something to do with an increased voltage or something?. Is that true or me waffling?

Reply to
Mike G

possible but not likely imo since each side is fed separately from the front of the car there is not likely to be a noticeable surge when one goes. However , since the bulbs are the same age, they may get to their lifespan at more or less the same time.

The thing that annoys me about car lights is how many vehicles less than three years old have a light or two gone, it seems to me that they must put real rubbish bulbs into the average new car.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

The voltage can't really go above the output of the alternator, since there's no induction etc involved. And the voltage drop to the brake lights due to the wiring, etc, should be small.

Domestic light bulbs have a habit of blowing one after another if the same age and on the same circuit. Perhaps car ones are the same.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You're waffling. At least you noticed though.

Reply to
Conor

mrcheerful. ( snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

I turned the headlights on on my XM just before Xmas - and watched 'em go on-dim-bright-off. BOTH bulbs died.

Individually fed via relays, too. Go figure...

Special tool to change 'em, too...

Reply to
Adrian