B**** flooded focus tdci 1.6

Drove through what I thought was a small puddle lying on a road , only to find the road dipped in the middle and it was 2 foot deep :( Obviously car cut out and had to climb out of window and push it out Could not restart it and had to call rac , they couldn't start it either and suspect that water has been taken in through air intake Am I looking at a massive bill for a new engine :(

Ta

Reply to
Jim

That's probably an insurance claim.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Reason for question is that Son did same in his Saab diesel and although it would turn over it would not start RAC said water in engine

We removed the air intake pipe between the inlet manifold and the intercooler it started fine but ran rough

got all of the water out of the air intake and dried out the air filter and all was well

Tony

Reply to
TMC

sounds like the blocked air filter was the trouble in your case. in the op case, if it stopped with a bang he is in trouble, coughing and farting and petering out might just mean the electrics got soaked.

Reply to
MrCheerful

Possibly. :(

You should NOT have attempted to re-start it- bending rods is very easy to do with a modern diesel.

Anyhow, you dont have much to loose now- so get the injectors or glow plugs out, and the inlet trunking and especially the intercooler in bits, syringe out the pots, and spin it over on the starter for abit. Get as much water out of the pots as you can by various means! A wet/dry hoover with a very small rubber pipe taped to the end is good.

Re-assemble and see if it starts. If it does and seems ok i'd still be tempted to get rid fairly soon as the shock loadings may still cause a rod to fail at any time.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Thanks for all the advice , forgot to add - that when the RAC guy tried to start it attempted to go and then there was a clonk sound :( Does this mean the damage has now been done ? :( :(

Reply to
Jim

That clonk sound was probably something expensive bending/breaking

Reply to
Sandy Nuts

The clunk was the engine trying to turn but coming up against the hydraulic-ed cylinder and stopping abruptly. I'm afraid bent rods are quite likely, especially with this PSA unit (aluminium alloy rather than cast)

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Blimey that's high tec, all the ones I've seen had forged steel conrods.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Yes.

But the RAC guy done it, shouldn't they have *known* there was a high chance damage would happen!?

I'd call the RAC for a bit of a barnie, but that's just me.

Reply to
Martin R

the rac (and aa ) guys are just tasked to get you back on the road in the absolute minimum amount of time, it's not like having a water logged engine is all that common, however if it was full of water then that's probly what stopped it in the first place ! Doubt OP would win in court :(

Si

Reply to
mr p

Thanks for all the replies . Have gone down the insurance route as the damage to the engine is a bit of an unknown quantity I do have the option to pay the repair myself once damage is known and not use the claim , but I think its probably looking like a large repair bill. I for one won't risk driving through anything more than a small puddle in future :( - lesson learnt

Reply to
Jim

You wouldn't get anywhere, all the damage is done when the water first goes in the engine.

Reply to
Duncan Wood