Focus TDCI - Can Aircon be retrofitted?

In message , Andrew Markland writes

Don't do it. The cost of retrofitting will be at least 3 times the cost of having it fitted as standard. If you want aircon, look for a car that has it already. It's so much less hassle.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

As Paul said. I did get an off the cuff quote from an aircon place for retro fitting and you would be looking at at least a couple of grand.

-- Malc C90, CG125, Z250 Of all the things I have lost, it's my mind I miss the most

get me out of my tree to reply

Reply to
Malc

prices to do it I changed my mind . It's really not worth doing to any car, I just went out and bought a car with aircon. A lot less hassle and cheaper.

Reply to
Mark

I have been offered a good price on an imported 2003 Focus TDCI. The only problem is that it doesnt have the Aircon.

Anyone know if Ford dealers can retrofit this (or if it has to be in from build). Also, any idea of cost?

Andy

Reply to
Andrew Markland

Gulp.

Reply to
Acedrew

A lot, seriously its a lot cheaper to just get one with air-con on. Although TBH I don't know what the fuss is about. When I re-built the Saab the first thing I did was dump the Aircon.

Reply to
**-**

some cars have a specific air con bulkhead so you won't be able to fit it if it hasn't using ford bit's saying that, retro fitting air con is around the £1k mark on most cars I've come across so it may not be THAT expensive

Reply to
dojj

Typically around and about one to one five grand. When I was considering it for Lucy, it was about the £1,200 mark, but the interior would look just like an ordinary air conditioned car of that age. You also get a warranty with the aftermarket air conditioning.

The snags? Well, if you have any problems with the air conditioning and the car, you might end up doing a roundhouse robin as Ford blames the a/c, the a/c blames the Focus, the Ford dealership then says, "go somewhere else, it's an import."

I guess it depends on how lucky you are feeling, and how big the discount? ;)

Reply to
DervMan

It's the one thing I look for now on a car.

-- Malc C90, CG125, Z250 Of all the things I have lost, it's my mind I miss the most

get me out of my tree to reply

Reply to
Malc

Ahhh, different priorities, though. I'd struggle to buy something without air conditioning these days, but I can put up with a "below average" performance machine, heh.

Reply to
DervMan

I'd either fix it, or change the car.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

"Tim.." > > But if your run-of-the-mill family runabout was about 8 years old and

THAT important! The damn thing would remain unfixed if it were mine methinks.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

I'd likely fix it. Worth more to me working in a car I knew, than replacing the entire car.

Reply to
DervMan

35 kg even, heh heh heh!
Reply to