BMW 330 E46 Screeching noise on turning right

Hi,

I've just submitted a similar post to alt.autos.bmw, but I thought I would repeat the question here - Apologies for the "double" post...

I have a 2003 model BMW 330ci convertible and I have noticed a high pitched screeching sound when turning right at slow speeds. It only happens if the car is moving, i.e. if I just turn the steering wheel to the right whilst stationary, no noise occurs. At higher speeds, even a slight turn to the right causes a metallic grinding sound (but this is only noticeable with the window down) - There is no noise in a straight line or turning left.

What I would like to know is, does this sound potentially dangerous? Should I stop driving the car immediately?

I shall be taking it to a BMW dealer shortly anyway - what is the likely cause of this kind of thing? Is it likely to be expensive to fix?

Many thanks, DW.

Reply to
DW Manchester

All depends on how well it is serviced. If you don't bother, chances are the brake pads are low.

Reply to
Conor

On Mon, 19 Jun 2006 22:38:29 +0100, I waved a wand and this message magically appeared from Conor:

Wheel bearing, probably. Common on cars that's been booted hard through corners.

Reply to
Alex Buell

I'd say bloody expensive if you take it to your average BMW dealer.

Reply to
Moray Cuthill

Would it be dangerous to drive the car (calmly) for a few days before it can be looked at?

Thanks, DW.

Reply to
DW Manchester

On Mon, 19 Jun 2006 22:17:47 GMT, I waved a wand and this message magically appeared from DW Manchester:

If the noise doesn't get worse, it can wait a while. If the noise gets progressively worse, get it sorted.

Reply to
Alex Buell

Alex Buell wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@munted.org.uk:

I've never heard a wheel bearing screech, I have heard worn pads do it though, and tyres, but only when cornering v hard.

Reply to
Tunku

Alex Buell ( snipped-for-privacy@munted.org.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

I've seen a wheel bearing that seized at 60mph - it wore a flat spot that took a brand new tyre to the canvas.

Reply to
Adrian
[...[

...and often the seized bearing will spin on the stub axle, causing further more expensive damage.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

On Tue, 20 Jun 2006 07:22:32 GMT, I waved a wand and this message magically appeared from Chris Whelan:

This happened to me once. Outward trip to Edinburgh from Portsmouth, all was fine. Returning home, wheel bearing started playing up, got progressively worse and worse. When car taken to garage, damage was immediately evident - bearing had catastrophically failed, damaging the braking system. Repairs cost 1400 quid! Nowadays I replace asap.

Reply to
Alex Buell

Well, it is going into the garage for repair tomorrow morning - Should this have been spotted during an MOT? The car had its MOT last Thursday! And no orange advisory notices were issued....

Thanks, DW.

Reply to
DW Manchester

"Moray Cuthill cuthill_at_v21.me.uk>" > I shall be taking it to a BMW dealer shortly anyway - what is the likely

I'm rather hoping that this will be covered by the warranty - fingers crossed!

Cheers, DW.

Reply to
DW Manchester

DW Manchester ( snipped-for-privacy@REMOVEALLhotmailCAPITALS.FROMcomHERE) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Play in a wheel bearing would be checked. Noise from a wheel bearing is not.

Reply to
Adrian

Depends on the fault. Let us know what they find and we'll tell you.

Reply to
Conor

Well... It turns out that the noise was being caused by a very small stone covered in tarmac stuck under the brake disc....

So there you go. Nothing too serious after all.

DW

Reply to
DW Manchester

Quite a common problem on the 3-series.