Car Fuel Injector & Dry Fuel

My mum's car devlopted problems today - we think caused by clogged fuel injector (single point injection Fiat Punto)

So now we've put in som injector cleaner in the fuel tank.

But guess we need to take it on a very long drive? She drives only short distances to work and back which is about 2 miles each way and the car is about 6 years old.

I' ve also seen a product called Dry Fuel which is supposed to help the water that's condensed in the fuel tank to mix with the uel and be burnt out of the system.

Is this any good?

And can it be used together with fuel injector cleaner or should I wait until the tank is alomost empty and next need to refuel?

Reply to
Dee

With short journeys the car won't warm up properly, not good for engine life - eg carbon build up in the cylinders. Oil gets diluted with fuel and you may notice 'mayonnaise' on the dipstick caused by condensation.

Best bet is try to give the car a good long blast each weekend, say about 40 miles to clear out the cobwebs...

Reply to
chris

Otherwise known as the "Italian tune up" , quite apt in this case. Get the car on a quiet fast road, if there is such a thing left, and wind it up and let rip. Make sure oil,water etc are topped up first. Top speed isn't too important, going up through the gears on full throttle is.

Stuart.

Reply to
Stuart Gray

Does that mean plonking it in 2nd and doing 70 for 40 miles?

--Nick.

Reply to
Nick

No.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Can you explain this "Italian tune up" to me?

--Nick.

Reply to
Nick

You just find an empty road & accelerate to the rev limit in each gear until you reach the legal limit. Repeatedly. A bit like when you're joining the motorway .

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Normally when I join a motorway from a 30 zone I just leave it in 3rd and get up to 70mph, when I'm on the motorway I plonk it into 5th.

I came off of the hard shoulder one time and did 70mph in 2nd, gut up to the red bits on the rev counter. Is that what I should do?

--Nick.

Reply to
Nick

Well changing up before the red bit's good, that's why it's red but otherwise yep, that's the idea. Run it flat out on the limiter in second & you're just testing the rev limiter , you need to be using the torque as well.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

One could quite easily do 50 in 1st or 2nd, or 70 in 3rd, how long should this go on for, and what are the benefits? I'm interested.

--Nick.

Reply to
Nick

You don't keep doing 50 in second , you change to third when you get there. Main advantage is it flows enough air to clean the engine out. Thereagain if you regularly do 70 in 3rd it probably won't help, that'll already have done it for you.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Oh okay! I only do it for about 20 seconds when entering motorways.

--Nick.

Reply to
Nick

So you guys are recommending do this driving up close to the red line to clean the engine?

I have a sporting so 6 gears to go through.

I have noticed the car seems to have gained an extra bust of power since using half a bottle of dry fuel with half a tank of fuel.

On the QVC demo I watched they said this might happen as the oxygen in the condensed water is burned ... don't know if this is the reason but seems quicker none the less, but also noticed my Punto seems faster in cold weather and yesterday was freezing cold weather, is this signifcant?

Reply to
Dee

Wow! Cold fusion in a Punto! QVC - Marvellous.

Half a pint of meths in a tank will absorb any water in the fuel system much more cheaply.

Cold air gives more oxygen for a given volume, so you'll get a better burn in the cold. That's why turbo cars have an intercooler.

'arry

Reply to
arry_b

Arrrh cos the molecules are closer together??

Well that does actually makes a lot of sense and explains why the car drives so fast in winter!!

regards

Dee

Dee