CV joint on Audi A6

Hi,

My low mileage 1999 Audi A6 has recently developed a noise coming from the front end. The noise sounds like grinding and banging and only occurs when on full right hand lock (turn).

My guess is that it is a CV joint. Can anyone tell me how to confirm this diagnosis and how to fix this? There is no Haynes manual in the UK for this model.

Thanks Mark

Reply to
Mark

First check it isn't something like a broken anti roll bar link. A worn cv will usually only make a noise when you accelerate with the wheel turned hard (pulling out of a side road is the usual test for me)

It is often impossible to tell by feel whether a cv is worn, stripping the cv may show the wear, but I wouldn't recommend it as an easy job.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

YOu can buy the section of the workshop manual you'll need from

as the US model will be identical in that area

DuncanWood

You can sometimes feel the play in the joint if you grab the driveshaft and shake it about. IIRC if the noise is on a RH turn, it's *probably* the LH outer joint. (can anyone confirm this?) Examine the boot for leakage- If your A6 is low mileage then I'd only expect the joint to fail if all the grease has got out ant the water in.

Like another poster said, check the front suspension too, and also check the wheel isn't fouling. Can you feel any kicking or vibration from the steering on full lock? - you may not be able to as the car will have PAS- when non-assisted sterring was the norm you could sometimes feel the steering kick back as the joint clicked.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

Get under the car and inspect the CV boots. If the CV boots aren't damaged and thus dry, it's more likely you're hearing the dreaded front suspension control arms prematurely aging their way to Heaven....

/daytripper '00 s4 6spd

Reply to
daytripper

Thanks, I'll check these out.

Mark

Reply to
Mark

If you're going to keep it any length of time buying the CD from Bentleys cheapest,almost everythings common, & VAG-Com decodes all the error codes.

Reply to
DuncanWood

The CV Boots look OK. I haven't heard of the front suspension control arms problem before. How can I check for this.

BTW: The problem is intermittant.

Mark.

Reply to
Mark

The front suspension ball joints are a very common fault on these cars. I knew somebody who got them done 3 times under warranty. Used to be able to tell that it was his car that came in the gate without even looking. You'd hear it creak from 20metres away as it turned in the yard.

Needless to say, he sold the car before the warranty ran out.

Reply to
Moray Cuthill

try these guys if you are looking for a new cv-joint

RJ

Seems like the last 3 audis I've owned I've had to replace the Control-Arm(s). It's the likely culprit.. From Virginia, USA

Reply to
Jim May

How can I identify the control-arms? How can I check whether they are OK?

Thanks, Mark

Reply to
Mark

Sorry; I can't do a thing but drive to my mechanic...

Reply to
Jim May

I think there was a recall for the A6 of that age some time ago because of some front suspension problem. No idea whether it has anything to do with your problem, but it might be worth looking into it.

Christoph

P.S. This link was mentioned before:

Christoph Bollig

I had a check done a few months ago under a recall. I can't remember what it was for though.

You seem to have to pay £99 to view this article. Would anyone care to summerize for me, please?

Mark

Reply to
Mark