Transit Hub Removal

I need to remove the handbrake cable on my '88 transit 100, but it's a bit of a pain because I need to remove the hub to get at it.

Looking at the manual, I need a special socket (about 55mm diameter with 4 'prongs' - sort of like a castle nut). Can't see anywhere that sells them so..

Q1 - anyone know where I can get one?

The manual then says that I might need another special tool to withdraw the hub once I've undone the nut.

Q2 - what does this special tool actually do - why can't I just pull the hub off?

Q3 - Is this a pain in the arse job that I shouldn't really be trying at home (I know the torque settings are incredibly high)?

Q4 - Is there another way to get the handbrake cable off without needing to remove the hub?

Cheers for any help

Mike

Reply to
MXH

The message from snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (MXH) contains these words:

I made my own by cutting down another socket - then discovered that they're readily obtainable and I could have bought one for a tenner!

Maccess, the car parts wholesaler sell 'em - so your local car shop (proper one, not Halfrauds) should be able to get one.

Reply to
Guy King